Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
5,323 Views 1 Reply Last post: Mar 24, 2012 9:45 PM by moornainoz RSS
Level 0 27 posts since
Feb 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2012 8:30 PM

Barnes & Noble's reply to my application to become a supplier

Yes, I filled out Barnes & Noble's in-depth application to become a supplier, sending a book and also offering returns including covering postage. Here is their reply:

Dear Ms. Caprarelli,

We are writing in response to your request to have your title, Uniform Decisions, placed on the shelves in the Barnes & Noble stores.

As you are well aware, most self-published books are made possible by print-on-demand technology. This efficient method of publishing enables many more writers to have their book enter the marketplace. The high overhead costs associated with traditional publishing, such as editorial, sales,

marketing, warehousing and returns, are non-existent in this new model. Most of all, no investment in inventory is made because the books are printed one at a time.

Our research has shown us that most self-published titles sell about 100 copies, and most of those to friends and family. On the occasions when a title breaks out due to local publicity or reviews, then we take a closer look. In most of those cases, our store managers respond to their customers’ requests and order the title, but they never place speculative orders for stocking the book on their shelves.

You should also understand that we have no bias against self-publishing. Quite the contrary. There are now more than 100,000 self-published titles available on Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com) and for special order in our stores, and they are generating a great deal of sales for Barnes & Noble. You may also be interested to know that less than five percent of our sales are from bestsellers; an increasing amount of the titles we sell are from the growing number of books in print. For Barnes & Noble, having more titles available means more choices for our customers.

But our stores are simply not capable of representing the vast number of self-published titles, let alone the more than one million books in print. Fortunately, we have a warehouse that stocks over one million titles, and we make more than 100,000 additional titles available via print on demand.

The print-on-demand method has helped democratize publishing, enabling many more writers to realize their dream of having their books published. Yours is not an unusual request. We can appreciate your desire to have your book in our stores, and we regret that we “cannot satisfy such requests.

Your book is available for special order at more than 700 Barnes & Noble stores and online at Barnes & Noble.com.

Information about submitting content to bn.com can be found on the home page of www.barnesandnoble.com in the Services section in the Publisher & Author Guidelines.

Sincerely,

/s

Evelyn Velazquez

Small Press Department, Barnes & Noble, Inc.

Our book has sold over 500 copies in 2 months. 5 times what B&N predicts in a lifetime.

Uniform Decisions: My Life in the LAPD and The North Hollywood Shootout

http://www.uniformdecisions.com

Level 2 344 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
1. Mar 24, 2012 9:45 PM in response to: shesteasing
Re: Barnes & Noble's reply to my application to become a supplier

When your book sells somewhere around 10,000 copies or more B&N will be interested in it as a self published book, that's the way they work.

I'd like to be able to tell you that it's easier for publishing houses like mine to be able to do better, but B&N are just about THE hardest book retailing company to deal with, no matter who you are, unless of course you're as big as Pan, Macmillan etc.

Then you can afford to play the B&N game.

It's part of the reason we at Moorna have changed the way we've been doing business over the past couple of years since we came into being, by marketing our authorship's books far more directly, both in print, and ebooks.

It also means that we are now able to offer our authorship a far better deal with what they get out of every copy of the book sold.

Had we continued to work in the old traditional publishing way we'd no doubt have gone to the wall by now, but in fact the opposite is proving to be the case as we're getting stronger every day.

It's still an uphill battle in this industry, but it's now one we stand a far better chance of hanging in there with now.

My company started out by publishing only two differing kinds of works, legal books and updates to those, which is boring, but steady, and two bi-monthly interest magazines, reasonably lucrative, but constant hard work with marginal returns for the effort put in.

Now we have restructured our company we work as seven independent publishing houses, all within the umbrella  of Moorna.

This has allowed us to move into other areas of publishing we couldn't have previously hoped to have broken into, the newest one of these new sub-companies is Indie E Books.

We have never made things easy for ourselves because we have always stuck to the premise that authors should do the writing, while we do the publishing, and we do it at no up front cost to our authorship, as we believe in making our money out of the distribution end of the deal, not directly out of some poor devil's wallet who has been refused publication contracts by all the far bigger publishing houses than us.

While it means that we have struggled to make our way in the publishing industry it has created an authorship that is totally loyal to Moorna, and that I feel is a great reward.

In case no one has worked it out for themselves yet I'll declare that I am NOT a writer, only a publisher.

http://moornapublications.blogspot.com.au/

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...