Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
7,412 Views 13 Replies Last post: Dec 26, 2008 8:37 AM by jjray7 RSS
Level 0 10 posts since
Oct 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2008 2:04 PM

Inserting page number headers

I'm having a problems inserting page number headers on MS Word.  I can skip the first page only but I want to skip the first few pages as I'm including a copywrite page and acknowledgement page.  Anyone know how I can do that?

Level 5 11,774 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Dec 3, 2008 2:26 PM in response to: Zanizh
Re: Inserting page number headers

Create a section break before the first numbered page. Then go into the page numbering properties on the first numbered page and enter the appropriate number in the "start page numbering at ...". This is also useful if you wish to use Roman numerals in your prelim pages and regular numbers from Page 1.

Also in your header section turn off the "same as previous" button so you do not have page numbers appear in your prelim pages.

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
2. Dec 3, 2008 4:55 PM in response to: Zanizh

Check out my templates at http://www.cstemplates.com .  They're set up for blank pages for title and copyright pages, lower case Roman for front matter, and Arabic for your text.  And they're free.

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
3. Dec 3, 2008 11:25 PM in response to: Zanizh
Zanizh wrote:

I'm having a problems inserting page number headers on MS Word.  I can skip the first page only but I want to skip the first few pages as I'm including a copywrite page and acknowledgement page.  Anyone know how I can do that?

This might sound pedantic, but make sure your second page is a copyright page and not a copywrite page.

Note the definition of copyright on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright, which starts by stating "not to be confused with copywriting"

Tony Loton, author --

Book Publishing DIY : The Do It Yourself Guide to Self-Publishing using Lulu and CreateSpace

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
7. Dec 4, 2008 8:53 AM in response to: Zanizh

If you're using Word 2007 you can click the Page Layout tab on the menu bar, then pull down the Breaks menu to see the various kinds of Section Breaks.

Tony Loton, author --

Book Publishing DIY : The Do It Yourself Guide to Self-Publishing using Lulu and CreateSpace

Level 0 32 posts since
Dec 17, 2008
8. Dec 26, 2008 1:49 AM in response to: Zanizh

I am capable of putting in a section break in MS Word; however, my experience has been that createspace ignores the page numbering of my Word document and puts a No. 1 on first page of the manuscript no matter what.  That does not allow for a title page nor dedication.  It sucks.  Anybody have a clue how to correctly format page numbers for createspace so the page numbers start a few pages into the manuscript where you desire them to go?

Level 2 135 posts since
Dec 17, 2008
9. Dec 26, 2008 2:10 AM in response to: jjray7

Hi, are you uploading your files in Word? You might have better luck converting your Word document into a PDF, which locks in the pagination, and then uploading that.

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
10. Dec 26, 2008 2:36 AM in response to: BookMarketer

Yes, do what BookMarketer says: upload a PDF (containing whatever page numbering you like, as long as it is consecutive) rather than uploading a Word document. I blogged on the current inadequacies of the CreateSpace Word-to-PDF conversion here: http://lotontech-self-publishing.blogspot.com/2008/12/createspace-microsoft-word-to-pdf.html

Tony Loton, author --

Level 0 32 posts since
Dec 17, 2008
11. Dec 26, 2008 2:48 AM in response to: Zanizh

OK, I just uploaded a PDF instead of Word but no preview PDF link is showing.  I suppose there is a lag or something rather than immediate as with Lulu.  You are saying that whatever page numbering appears in my PDF will be respected by createspace when it does the conversion?  How about page headers?  Lulu is great on this point.  Thanks for the input.

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
12. Dec 26, 2008 5:36 AM in response to: jjray7

Unlike Lulu, CreateSpace doesn't seem to give a preview of the PDF that you upload; only for Word documents that it has converted. I think people have complained about this in the past, and requested a "preview" feature, which I suspect is what led to CreateSpace (mistakingly) providing a "preview" feature that solves an entirely different problem.

All PDFs that I have uploaded -- including some Lulu-generated ones -- have turned out ok when the proof has arrived. My page numbering, pagination, headers and everything else has been respected every time and unchanged by CreateSpace. It would be unacceptable otherwise.

Tony Loton, author --

Level 0 32 posts since
Dec 17, 2008
13. Dec 26, 2008 8:37 AM in response to: LOTONtech

Many thanks LOTONtech!  Your help came much quicker than the official "Help" from createspace.  Another negative comparison between Lulu and createspace: no live help via chat.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...