Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
12,040 Views 14 Replies Last post: Jun 28, 2012 6:41 AM by DenverSky5280 RSS
Level 0 28 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2012 4:41 PM

Making a hardcover copy of your book!!!

Hey guys! Can anyone tell me a good place to make a hardcover copy of my novel? I don't believe CS does it, so I'm wondering how I could go about making  few copies without breaking the bank. Any suggestions would be apprecied? Thanks!

Level 5 3,191 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Apr 14, 2012 4:54 PM in response to: AlexB
Re: Making a hardcover copy of your book!!!

CS will do hard covers through their Enterprise service but ONLY for author copies (no distribution) and there is an initial setup fee prior to printing. If your just looking for a few copies for friends and family I would check LuLu, they do hardcovers with no setup fee though the author copies are more expensive than CS. If you are looking to do full distribution of hardcovers take a look at Lightning Source.

R. C.

Level 2 348 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
3. Apr 16, 2012 7:48 AM in response to: AlexB

We have a small book binder of our own that we use to produce very small numbers of both Perfect Bound paperbacks, and the internal binding of Hardback books. Once the internals are finished we put them through another small finishing machine to fix the hard backs to the internals, but the whole process is very slow, around only 80 books per hour as an average, so we only use it all for very tiny hardback book binding runs as 'Special Edition' Leather bound hardcovers for instance that are sold at very high prices.

I bought all the equipment in from China a couple or so years ago now for around $6.000, but it's more than paid for itself long ago, as the guy who does all our book binding turns out small runs of perfect bound books for outside contracting from it for us, as there is no other binding services closer to us than over 1200 Km away, so anyone within that distance HAS to come to us or go the distance to get it done elsewhere, but when they only want a couple of hundred or so books bound at a time it would cost them a great deal more than we charge them.

The machine can bind book thicknesses anywhere between a minimum of 30 sheets of paper, and up to 50mm thickness of book, and the largest size it can handle is an A4 sized book in portrait form, and anything down so as small as a 50mm square miniature book.

I go play with it sometimes just for the fun of doing so, but I'm so slow at working with it I'd never make a cent in profit, it'd probably cost me to work for someone else at doing it if I had to do all the binding lol.

In straight perfect binding for standard novel book sizes the guy who works our machine turns out around 220 books per hour, and he's no spring chicken at 78 years of age, so that's good going I think for a semi manual binding machine.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Apr 16, 2012 3:57 PM in response to: AlexB

I've published a hardcover with dust jacket at LSI and was quite impressed with the results. I'm also looking at trying out Unibook, although they don't offer distribution to Amazon etc.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 5 2,547 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
5. Apr 17, 2012 3:44 PM in response to: lipmag

Hi Alex… I asked the same question of CS 3 days ago for a children’s book I’m in the process of proofing.  It’s only 40 pages, full color bleed, but this should give you some idea of cost.As you may already know… it’s not cheap…

This is the response from CS 2 days ago:

From CS:“I am responding your inquiry about making your book/books available in hardcover. You do have to approve your softcover version of the book through CreateSpace first. We do offer a hardcover service, were we take the print files used to print your softcover book and format separate files to print a hardcover version.

There is an upfront fee of $99.00 to have this done. Once the hardcover version is created, you will be able to order hardcover copies through your CreateSpace account. We do not list the hardcover version on Amazon.com or make it available to the general public. Only you would be able to order copies of the hardcover version within your online CreateSpace account. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you are interested.

For your book, the hardcover copies would cost you $12.50 each. This is a hardcover book with case bound laminate. If you wanted a hardcover version with a dust jacket, the cost per copy would be $14.50. The pricing is based on an 8x10” book with 40 pages and color interior. You do not need to submit new PDF files for the hardcover version."

Hope that helps!

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 5 14,254 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Apr 17, 2012 4:15 PM in response to: DenverSky5280

I warned you . . . you're beginning to sound expert . . . and before you know it, you'll be on that magic quest for the ultimate garden gnome.

To be serious, if you do order a hardcover copy, let us know what you think of it.  I don't remember anyone actually saying.

W

Jan 25, 2010
7. Apr 17, 2012 4:59 PM in response to: walton

Hi Walton…  it will only take me another 100 years to be as expert as youse guys.  

Nah… I’m exaggerating.  It will take me maybe 200 years give or take;  but I’m good at sharing what worked and what didn’t.

I will let you know how the hard cover looks.  Just got the paperback proof.  The full color printing is lovely… very vivid and eye-catching.   

But, it’s going to take a bit of time to get the colors right. 

Skin tones are a b*tch.  My Chinese guy and Indian woman look like green Martians or big green, garden gnomes.  Maybe they have gnomitis??   

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 5 14,254 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
8. Apr 17, 2012 5:17 PM in response to: DenverSky5280

And I was going to give you serious advice . . . gnomitis!  They prescribe pegnicillin for that.

Okay . . . I will anyway . . . give your proof 1-2 weeks, the color will change a little.  Don't expect big changes so if skin colors are off . . . and you are right they are very hard: we are particularly sensitive to skin colors . . . those you might have to fuss with.  I had a set of color swatches showing process CMYK (pure CS process colors versus Pantone Process color equivalents).  They were pretty much a match, which based on previous tests, should not have been.  Two weeks later and the differences were obvious.

Walton

Level 5 3,329 posts since
Sep 17, 2008
10. Apr 18, 2012 9:38 AM in response to: AlexB

Hi Alex,

I couldn't help but share a thought or two about the comment you made in your last post about Lightning Source.

AlexB wrote: ". . . Lightning Source is another option, but I'm still checking into them - a lot of complaints, and bad attitude from what I've read so far."

Actually, I'm surprised (and I'm sure many Createspace members who use LSI are surprised as well) by your comment! There have been many complaints and bad attitudes about/from Lightning Source . . . ? Really? That's news to me! I've been using them for years and many other CreateSpace members have as well and I've had no problems with them whatsoever. I'm sure other CreateSpace members who use them would say the same thing. So I'm not sure where you are getting that information. Everything about them is professional, from the sales representatives to the quality of books. Now, I don't work for them but I will support their work ethics and recommend them highly to anyone seriously considering publishing multiple book titles.

Eric

Eric V. Van Der Hope | #1 International Bestselling Author, Publishing & Book Marketing Strategist

Available From Amazon: "Mastering Niche Marketing"

After Purchasing the Book - Get Your Free Gifts Here: http://www.MasteringNicheMarketing.com

Read Eric's Latest Blog Posts: "Eric's Book Marketing Minute"

Connect w/ Eric on his personal Facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/ericvanderhope

Connect w/ Eric on his Facebook Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/BookLaunchMarketing

Connect w/ Eric on his Twitter profile: http://www.twitter.com/ericvanderhope

Connect w/ Eric on his LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericvanderhope

Jan 25, 2010
11. Apr 18, 2012 5:44 PM in response to: DesireSuccess

@Walton, thanks so much for the heads up on the colors changing. 

Hadn’t even crossed my mind that the colors “cure”.

@Alex – good luck w/your project, too.  If you go w/the hard cover, give us your .02 of what you think of the quality.  I’ll do the same. 

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 1 164 posts since
Apr 19, 2012
12. Apr 23, 2012 6:39 PM in response to: AlexB

I agree on the merits of hardcovers, to me, the soft cover books smack of  "do-it-yourself,"  and to me it's associated with the cheap home improvement books such  as;  "how to repair your plumbing, " "electrical systems explained,"  and other softcover books you buy at Walmart for $9.95, use them around the job-site, write notes all over the pages, and toss the books out when done with the task.

A hardcover book says "quality" it says;  "I belong in your LIBRARY next to your GG Grandma's most prized heirloom books."  I don't come away with that feeling with a flimsy floppy softcover book at all, I come away with;  "this publisher was too CHEAP to print  a quality book or even cared enough about the writing to make it hardcover,  even if it cost a few bucks more."

Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 30, 2012
13. Jun 28, 2012 1:31 AM in response to: DenverSky5280

Hi DenverSky5280 - Do you have a hardcopy copy yet?  Are you pleased with the quality?  When ordering your hardcover book, do you have the option of getting it without the Dust Jacket?  We are also thinking of creating a hardcover book.

Jan 25, 2010
14. Jun 28, 2012 6:41 AM in response to: ReiserRelief

Hi ReiserR… The hardcover looks great!  Very professional and just like a book you’d see on the shelf at Barnes and Noble.  That’s not just me saying it… it’s my beta-readers who range in age from 4 to 83.  Oh wait, the 4 year old little boy said, “Ooooh!”.

You can visualize the book being read by many many children and even handed down from generation to generation. 

Although I published the paperback here at CS (and am very glad I did), I used LightningSource to publish the hardcover.

2 reasons I went with LS for the hardcover:  1) With LS, other people beside the author can purchase the book from Amazon, B&N, etc.  It is listed in the Ingram catalogue.  2) Cost was $2.50 less per book ($10 vs. $12.50 from CS.  I didn’t order a dust jacket.). 

The setup fees at LS were comparable to CS, but there were more hoops to jump through (bring your own ISBN’s, long contract to read, no Forums, no handholding).  Also, every single change to the interior or cover costs $40 each.  The book took longer than I thought because it was an illustrated children’s book w/full bleed.   LightningSource has different specs than CS for full bleed w/ color illustrations, and I had to reformat the book.  Big pain, but totally worth it.

LS had some quality control issues on 2 of the proofs (tiny white dots in the same place on all the even number pages; bump on the laminated cover), but they’re issuing a credit for those.   

The 1st proof had a matte cover which I liked, but I switched to the glossy cover which looks fresher and will probably perform better in the hands of children… i.e. stain less.

Bottom line:  I placed an order for a short run yesterday.  Using a hardcover for a children’s book…. Oh yeah! 

Dee

A TALE OF TWO TOWNS with over 100 Hidden Animals and Camo-Critters (story & activity book for children ages 3-9)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...