11,184 Views 21 Replies Last post: Dec 14, 2008 9:08 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 1 84 posts since
Nov 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2008 4:04 PM

EAN-13 barcodes

Kate,

My book already has an ISBN. CreateSpace offers ISBNs to those that need them without a charge. But where does the barcode eps file get made? Do I need to do this myself?

Michelangelo

Level 3 703 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
1. Dec 6, 2008 5:03 PM in response to: michelangelo
Re: EAN-13 barcodes

Here you go. Barcodes made on demand:

http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland

Level 2 257 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
2. Dec 6, 2008 6:00 PM in response to: michelangelo

I'm not Kate, but I do have an answer. I happen to have my own set of ten ISBNs (bought when the price was actually reasonable). I supplied the ISBN to CreateSpace and they converted it to the bar code for free. Some printing companies will require you to have the bar codes created but CreateSpace does not. This makes life a little easier.

Jesse

Level 5 9,278 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Dec 7, 2008 11:00 AM in response to: michelangelo

I also found this confusing the first time. 

If you send your cover file to a regular book printer, you have to include the barcode yourself (meaning you have to buy/order it from somewhere - e.g., the source mentioned above, Bowker, or one of several other sources - and then place that image on the back cover). 

With CS, however, you just enter your ISBN with your project info and leave the barcode space blank on the cover file you submit.  CS produces and inserts the barcode for you (which saves you about $25 right there).

Aug 22, 2008
5. Dec 10, 2008 8:28 PM in response to: michelangelo

In my case, my publishing firm (A Lighthouse for Leaders) bought a block of ISBNs and assigned one of them to my CS book.  CS simply produced and printed the corresponding barcode on the cover for free (i.e., it's not "their" barcode) -- whereas if I'd used a different printer, I'd have had to buy that corresponding barcode from a third party and put it on the cover design myself.  In either case, my firm is listed as the publisher.

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
6. Dec 11, 2008 2:38 AM in response to: michelangelo

michelangelo :-

Whether you supply you own ISBN, or accept one generated by CreateSpace, then CreateSpace should superimpose the barcode on the back cover for you.

Is your question really "if you use a CreateSpace ISBN" rather than "if you use a CreateSpace barcode"?

See one of my books with a CreateSpace-assigned ISBN here, and scroll down to Product Details to see that the Publisher is listed as "CreateSpace": http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fundamentals-Trial-Dividend-Really/dp/1440454876

See the same book here published with my own ISBN (actually via Lulu not CreateSpace, but still my own ISBN), and scroll down to Product Details to see the Publisher listed as LOTONtech Limited: http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fundamentals-Trial-Dividend-Really/dp/0955676495

Tony Loton, author --

Book Publishing DIY : The Do It Yourself Guide to Self-Publishing using Lulu and CreateSpace

Level 5 11,790 posts since
May 4, 2008
9. Dec 11, 2008 2:41 PM in response to: michelangelo
Aug 22, 2008
11. Dec 11, 2008 4:03 PM in response to: michelangelo

Michelangelo, I think you answered your own question.  The collective term for "all that work" you mentioned is publishing.

I can't imagine why someone who has decided to seriously engage in developing, writing, designing, producing, and selling books for profit (yet isn?t under a contract to do so) wouldn't form his/her own publishing company, buy a block of ISBNs, and operate it like a business. 

Allowing CS to be the publisher does make sense for two types of people: (1) the person who is doing it mainly as a hobby or for fun (for example, a friend of mine who had all of her daughter's stories, poems, and artwork made into a book to give family members), and (2) the aspiring author who wants to test the market with a "real" book before spending a lot of money to jump into writing and self-publishing full force (barcodes are cheap, but ISBNs aren't, at least not in the USA).

Level 5 11,790 posts since
May 4, 2008
12. Dec 11, 2008 4:04 PM in response to: michelangelo

I fail to see what the issue is here. In exchange for a free ISBN and barcode CreateSpace gets a non-exclusive license to print and distribute your book, and be listed as the publisher on Amazon.com (and affiliates) only. On your own website if you have one, you can list yourself as the publisher. On the copyright page inside your book you can list yourself as the publisher, and you are not required to mention CreateSpace at all. The only benefit to listing CS as the publisher on your book or website is when dealing with returns on faulty books.

If you wish to go elsewhere, CS do not impose any contract preventing this, they only stipulate you cannot use their ISBN. If you get a deal with a "real" publisher, they will use their own ISBN anyway. If you go to another POD you may have the option of publishing without an ISBN or buying a new one. If you no longer wish to publish through CS, you can close your account and thus end the license that CS requires to print and distribute your book.

If it's such a big deal for you, buy your own ISBN from Bowker, generate your own barcode from the website mentioned earlier, and publish wherever you like.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Don't forget on 1 Jan 09, CS will reintroduce the $39.00 fee on Pro Plan.

Level 1 114 posts since
Aug 13, 2007
14. Dec 12, 2008 2:43 AM in response to: michelangelo

What I don't understand is how you delete a title from CS?

I tried support but I never get an answer , nor my title is deleted.

Is this so complicated?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...