Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
81,450 Views 47 Replies Last post: Dec 28, 2012 4:40 PM by 58bookish59 RSS Go to original post
Level 5 4,979 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
15. Jun 20, 2012 11:43 AM in response to: TTT123
Re: ISBN Buyers Remorse

The main drawback with the free ISBN is that CS is listed as the imprint of record. For a lot of people this doesn't matter, but some people prefer to use their own imprint.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Accepting submissions for themed anthology
The Storm is here! View the trailer

Level 5 18,810 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
16. Jun 20, 2012 11:47 AM in response to: TTT123

Actually, I don't think there is much downside to using CS's free ISBN.  I have posted that often.  Lots of people think having "Published by  CreateSpace" on the the Amazon page, that is, listed as the publisher of record, will hurt sales.  To which I point to Amanda Hocking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/12/amanda-hocking-self-publishing) . . . it hasn't hurt her much!

The point of this thread had to do with other sources of ISBNs, where you might think you're getting an ISBN that will show you as the publisher, but somewhere on one of the pages you find out it's Dillard's B&B Publishing and Snacks (or whatever) . . . or that CS won't accept it.

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 25, 2011
17. Jun 20, 2012 12:52 PM in response to: R.C.

Thank you very much for the useful info and options

-Jon

Level 0 6 posts since
Jun 18, 2012
18. Jun 20, 2012 1:47 PM in response to: R.C.

Under what circumstances would a person want to use another printer? What constitutes a bulk order and when would a person want to do that? I am preparing to self publish a series of children's picture books which are also educational and am hoping to enter the library/school market at some point. Am trying to plan ahead in case this happens. I see that Amazon has special printing for libraries and schools which would have it's own ISBN, as would the soft cover and hardcover versions. As I understand it, no ISBN is needed for e books.   I appreciate all the information given by everyone on this thread, just what I was looking for today.     Thanks,   Janet

Level 5 5,993 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
19. Jun 20, 2012 2:22 PM in response to: Janet123

We have numerous authors here who print via two or more channels (LuLu, LSI, CS) doing so allows them to take advantage of certian benifits of each. For example, our Australian members will often print via LSI as well as LSI has an australian print facility which mean that the shipping rate and times for books purchased there is quicker, similarily UK authors sometimes us LuLu for author copies as I understand they can be printed locally. We have also had authors that begin with CS and decide to move to another press such as LSI down the road, having their own ISBN makes this switch easier as it is not neccessary to retire the original title and release a new edition (unless they change format)

A bulk offset print run is less costly on a per item basis so if you had a large book order (say 500-1000) from an institution it makes more sense financially to fullfil this with a seperate offset run. If you do not have large orders than POD allows you to avoid the upfront capital requirements.

If you are looking to market to libraries and educational institutions, you would need to have a free CS ISBN to get listed or alternativley look into a seperate method of getting your book in the catalogue and fullfilling orders yourself. We have not heard of much success with the Library Distribution Channel via CS.

There was an alternative Library distribution link posted a few days ago on the forum but I can not seem to locate it at the moment.

Depending on how you approach ebooks an ISBN may be required. KDP does not require one but some distributors do. If you use an aggregator such as Smashwords they have their own free ISBN option you can use.

R. C.

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
20. Jun 20, 2012 2:43 PM in response to: Janet123

Hi Janet… I’m a big fan of FREE ISBN’s, especially if you’re first starting out.  You can always buy ISBN’s and republish the book under your own company/imprint.

I’m also a fan of the EDC program which enables distribution channels including libraries. That said, most libraries have review boards/committees.  Getting into the library channel isn’t the same as swimming across it. 

If you bring your own ISBN here or use a paid ISBN, I do NOT think that gets you included in the Library channels.  I saw a post yesterday by someone who paid for the $10 ISBN from CS.  The Library/Academia channel was grayed out.   When we looked under the CS Help files, it said “some” EDC channels would be activated w/the $10 ISBN.  If you go w/the FREE CS ISBN, ALL the channels are activated.

You asked why you might want to use another printer? 

Answer:  To do hardbacks (especially since you’re doing children’s books). 

CreateSpace CAN print hardcover books (cost is $99 set-up, and they use your soft cover file once it’s been approved).

However, the CS hardback won’t be listed for sale on Amazon.  Only you, the author, can order the hardback.

Maybe that will change in the future, but right now, that’s why you might want to seek out another printer.

I just published 2 children’s books here with the FREE ISBN. 

I used Lightning Source to do a hardcover of one of the books.  There are a number of hoops to jump thru over there, no handholding, and NO forums.   The book and cover will need to be reformatted to their specs, the set-up and proof cost is more, but the end result was worth it… if you absolutely want a hardcover that people can order.

My cost for my 40 page, hardcover, full color book is $10 from LightningSource.  It was $12.50 from CS.

You do have to bring your own ISBN numbers to LS.  Bowker sells a block of 10 for $250 or 1 for $125.  Buy them yourself by going to myidentifiers.com.

Hope that helps!

Dee at TOTT BOOKS

A TALE OF TWO TOWNS with over 100 Hidden Animals and Camo-Critters (story & activity book for children ages 3-9)

A Tale of Two Towns COLORING BOOK, The People and Animals (106 page coloring & storybook for children ages 3-9)

Level 0 6 posts since
Jun 18, 2012
21. Jun 20, 2012 7:18 PM in response to: DenverSky5280

Thanks RC and Dee, good information. I think I'll go with the free CS ISBN now that I know I can change it if necessary.   Janet

Level 0 30 posts since
Mar 26, 2011
22. Jun 23, 2012 7:30 AM in response to: walton

Walton, can you send me a link that allows for the $10 CS isbn under your own publishing label? I went to a couple other links that aren't 10 and certainly dn't want to fall into the challenge the OP did. Does that include the barcode we can add to the cover?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2012
23. Jun 23, 2012 8:04 AM in response to: JessJess91

There is no direct link as this option is available (to US residents) as you go through the 'Create a Title' process with CreateSpace (the url will change with every title and every user). On the ISBN selection page (seen below) you will be able to choose the $10 custon ISBN option which will allow you to enter your own Imprint name.

R. C.

Upcoming Release - The Order
Preview - https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1100325
Trailer - http://youtu.be/To1IlV-9wCA

Fiction Formatting Templates

www.rcbutlerbooks.com

Level 5 18,810 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
24. Jun 23, 2012 8:23 AM in response to: JessJess91

You do not need to add a barcode, if you provide the required whte box https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/CoverPDF.jsp, CS will put it in.  I generally like to do this myself. You can get a free barcode from: http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/

Unless it's changed, the option for the ISBN comes up in the guided process when you enter your project data.

Walton

Level 5 7,677 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
25. Jun 23, 2012 12:07 PM in response to: Janet123

One thing to remember if you use the free CS ISBN. If you decide to change it later to your own ISBN, you will not be able to use the same book title. I learned that to my cost.

Mar 10, 2012
26. Jun 23, 2012 1:00 PM in response to: Ninian

???? Why would you have to change the title. I could have multiple editions all with the same title and I would have to have a different ISBN for each ( new edition must have new ISBN ). Additionally I could release my book in two trim sizes, both with the same title and each trim size would need to have a different ISBN.

Was this something mandated by CS's system?

R. C.

Feb 1, 2008
27. Jun 23, 2012 1:21 PM in response to: R.C.

CS Support told me I would have to change the titles If I used my own ISBN numbers. If you have information to the contrary, let me know and I'll chase it through with them. I've just republished one book and ordered a proof. Two more to go before I use my own for a new book due up any moment.

Mar 10, 2012
28. Jun 23, 2012 1:42 PM in response to: Ninian

You need to 'create a new title' as in start a new project but I have just tested and the actual book title can be the same. You should note that you are probably best to retire your old book if you do release with your own ISBN otherwise you will have both available on amazon.

R. C.

Feb 1, 2008
29. Jun 23, 2012 1:45 PM in response to: R.C.

Thanks R.C. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

It might be painfull retiring one of the books because it's selling steadily on Amazon and on Smashwords but I have to do it because I have a sequel coming up soon. I'll come back and let you know what happens.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...