Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
567 Views 4 Replies Last post: Jan 24, 2018 10:14 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Mar 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2018 5:00 PM

Unable to upload cover pdf

Hi - I've got all the parts ready, including a pdf cover built to Create Space specs, but everytime I browse and select the pdf to upload in the proper step, it will not load and I get the auto message "no file selected."  I've tried uploading Chrome and Safari as browsers, same "no file selected" message.  Never had this problem before. Maybe I should try firefox?

Any suggestions?  - Steven

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Jan 23, 2018 6:06 PM in response to: Odysseus
Re: Unable to upload cover pdf

Try every browser you have.  Before you begin though, try opening your PDF and be sure that it is not corrupt.  In addition, the maximum size limit that CS allows for a cover file is 40 MB, if your file size is larger than that, then that's the problem.

Dan'l

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
3. Jan 24, 2018 9:06 AM in response to: Odysseus

Happy to help.

Dan'l

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Jan 24, 2018 10:14 AM in response to: Odysseus

This gives me an opportunity to post this table again:

For a 5 x 8 RGB image at 300 dpi, converted to PDF in Photoshop using Save as PDF (PS PDF) and using Adobe Distiller (Distiller: Print > Adobe PDF)

Preset

PS PDF

Distiller

Press Quality

16.3MB

3.4MB

High Quality

12.9MB

1.6MB

PDF/X-1a

8.8MB

3.7MB

PDF/X3

4.9MB

1.9MB

Obviously, Save as is huge, regardless of the preset, compared with the Distiller.  Similar size differences exist if you use doPDF, primoPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, etc., all of which produce PDFs in the Distiller size range.

Note too, this is a flattened image, JPG.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...