Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
439 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jan 26, 2018 7:24 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Aug 1, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2018 11:34 PM

Step by step to self publishing on Create Space and then Amazon.

Hey

I'm new here and have my book ready to be published but am confused by the relationship between createspace and amazon. I read somewhere, though I can't find it anymore, that publishing on createspace first meant you could easily publish to amazon afterward. Is that true?

Also after I submit my materials to createspace, and they approve is the book immediately available?

I'm trying to run a thunderclap campaign before the book releases and the timing of everything is an unknown and I can't find any information except in forum discussions from about four years ago.

If anyone could provide some clarity that would be all kinds of awesom.

thanks

Level 5 5,657 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jan 26, 2018 5:05 AM in response to: ColinBryceHamilton
Re: Step by step to self publishing on Create Space and then Amazon.

ColinBryceHamilton wrote:

I'm new here and have my book ready to be published but am confused by the relationship between createspace and amazon.

Amazon owns CreateSpace.

I read somewhere, though I can't find it anymore, that publishing on createspace first meant you could easily publish to amazon afterward. Is that true?

If you select the Amazon sales channels (in the Distribution tab for the project in your CS Dashboard), then your book will automatically be made available on those Amazon sites after you've approved it for sale.

Also after I submit my materials to createspace, and they approve is the book immediately available?

After you upload your interior and cover files and submit them for review, CreateSpace reviews them to ensure they meet the printing specs. If they don't, they'll reject them and send you a (sometimes cryptic) email about why. If there are no problems with your files, CS approves them and then you have the opportunity to review a Digital Proof (online), download a PDF proof, or order a physical printed proof (the recommended option). Once you've thoroughly proofed the book, make any corrections, sent it back through review, repeated this process as many times as necessary until you're happy with the proof, you Approve the proof. Once you do that, CS distributes the book to any sales channels you selected in the Distribution tab.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,168 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Jan 26, 2018 7:24 AM in response to: ColinBryceHamilton
Re: Step by step to self publishing on Create Space and then Amazon.

Sarah's answer is worth re-reading.  In the last paragraph, she talks about ordering a printed proof and reading it very carefully.  Repeat: very carefully.  This will effect your promotion campaign deadline.  Deadlines often mean mistakes; and if you're new to this, all the more so.  Even with experience, professional editors, designers, formatters, big budgets, stuff goes wrong.  My suggestion is get the book right, then set up the thunderclap campaign.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...