Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
779 Views 8 Replies Last post: Feb 9, 2018 4:28 AM by ozed RSS
Level 2 501 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2018 5:15 AM

KDP for POD versus CS

have just seen the latest KDP newsletter which mentions that proof and author copies are now available. This alter the compariison chart for many UK authors.  The important change for me is that these will be printed in europe for EU and UK orders.  I have not ordered author and proof copies from CS since my first two books mainly because of the long wait to have them shipped from the US.  I have gone down the road of ordering from Amazon UK, using prime, the cost difference is not great and i have often received them the following day.  Aftger a long gestation period I dont want to wait for weeks to see a printed copy.  I have a book coming to the boil shortly so may give KDP a go and see what happens.

Cheers  Ed

Level 2 1,010 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
1. Feb 5, 2018 2:31 AM in response to: ozed
Re: KDP for POD versus CS

Do report back.

Level 2 260 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
2. Feb 6, 2018 3:42 AM in response to: ozed

On the other hand, you give up the opportunity to sell on Barnes & Noble and the Book Depository, among other outlets. Most of my paperbacks tht appear on the Canadian, Chinese, and Australian stores are placed there by the Book Depository, and those that aren't are being sold by another "expanded distribution" bookseller.

If you are accustomed to building a perfect PDF and uploading that, the KPD Print option will no doubt work for you. But in that case I think you really ought to start with IngramSpark (free setup this month and next with the code NANO17 ) so you will have those bases covered. The same PDF can go to KDP Print for Amazon distribution.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: https://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Feb 7, 2018 8:52 AM in response to: ozed

So . . . despite the availability of a printed proof, which should give you the opportunity to revise and revise before the book is published (by "publish" I presume it is available/listed with Amazon) . . . the KDP Print system, simply publishes/makes available your book regardless of whether you order a printed proof or not.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Walton

Level 2 260 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
7. Feb 7, 2018 1:23 PM in response to: ozed

The book was in the basket priced at £1.70 ( it is only 50 pages).  But the postage and packing was £2.67.I presume author copies witll be the same.

As I had priced the book at £3.50 my wife will be able to buy at retail with her prime account for less than I can.

Interesting figures. I wonder if you would have had to pay shipping if YOU had a Prime subscription? Still, it's cheaper than getting a physical proof copy from CreateSpace in the US.

I assume shipping would cost less than £2.67 in quantity! As I recall, CreateSpace charges $3.99 shipping for one copy, just as Amazon does, but it comes down to less than a dollar each for a box of ten.

I can see why KDP Print would attract people outside the US, though you should be aware that since the Amazon stores for CA, IN, CN, and AU are supplied by the Book Depository or another "expanded distribution" vendor getting their books from CreateSpace, your book won't be on those stores, never mind on Barnes & Noble or of course the Book Depository, a UK vendor now owned by Amazon (!) that ships worldwide at little or no markup over list price.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: https://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...