Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2,140 Views 30 Replies Last post: Apr 4, 2018 2:03 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS Go to original post
Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
16. Feb 8, 2018 7:18 AM in response to: pathwayrev
Re: DPI issues when going from Pages to PDF

I have taken a different approach to posts/questions.  When I first came to CS, which I resisted because my experiences with BookSurge were terrible, I came with a strong background in commercial arts, printing, etc. Figuring out how to work with CS was difficult, precisely because of my experience.  Michelle, among others (Monica, PEACEcenter, Brenda, etc.) got me through a rough month or two.  I have tried to give back to the community, the help I got.

For the last year, I am unable to do a search: I can do the search, I can get pages of results, but every time I click on one the system times out, without bringing up the post.  I've tried on four computers, with five different browsers.  I know that it works for other people, but clearly not for everyone.

So I answer questions that I know have been answered before.

Walton

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
17. Apr 2, 2018 5:16 PM in response to: pathwayrev

The best and easiest way that I have found is, instead of uploading the manuscript as a PDF, upload it as a regular word document. This way, createspace converts the file to PDF for you and the images convert properly. I have done both ways experimentally... uploading as a PDF, I got the error message that my images were not 300 dpi. Then uploading as a word document (doc.), createspace converted the file for me and all of the error messages went away. The only problem with this method is that sometimes it messes with the page breaks. For this you just have to play around with it and check it in the virtual proofing. Hope this helps!

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
18. Apr 2, 2018 7:35 PM in response to: DavinaRush

Bad advice. Uploading a PDF is the preferred route. Letting CreateSpace convert a Word file to a PDF for you is a very bad idea. As for the dpi problem, it's due to operator error on your part.

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
19. Apr 2, 2018 8:28 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

I don't know what to tell you on that lol But it worked for me this way. I used 300dpi images when i created the original document, but when i exported to pdf or saved as a pdf and uploaded to createspace the images were corrupted to 95dpi. I tried changing the pdf save settings and other suggestions but continued to get the error message. So, I decided to go back and upload my word document and the 300dpi images. Createspace converted it, everything looks great and there are no more error messages. If there's a better way, please enlighten us.

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
20. Apr 2, 2018 8:30 PM in response to: DavinaRush

Not worth addressing you.  You know it all!!

Dan'l

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
21. Apr 2, 2018 8:43 PM in response to: danwiz

Then why exactly did you reply to me? To post a quick  "you're wrong" with no explanation as to why, and then a juvenile "you're not worth my time"?Because I would think the proper, adult and educated response would be "your answer is wrong because....." , rather than narrow minded jabs. I simply shared a method that works. Perhaps it's not your method or the prescribed method, but it does work. No need to be nasty just because it's not your way. Thanks and bye

Feb 7, 2015
22. Apr 3, 2018 2:07 PM in response to: DavinaRush

CreateSpace recommends that uploaded interiors be in PDF format: "Print-ready PDF files created through desktop publishing software offer the most control over the appearance of your book." To this end, CreateSpace provides CreateSpace PDF Submission Specification and Learn how to create a PDF to match our Specifications.

If you upload a .doc or another file format, CreateSpace might or might not convert it correctly to a PDF for you. If you do the conversion yourself and check each page carefully in Adobe Reader, you can be assured that it's correct. (Not sure what you're doing or not doing in the PDF conversion that reduces the dpi, but it's definitely user error.)

You got away with uploading a Word file this time, but next time you might not be as lucky. In any case, dispensing advice that's contrary to CreateSpace's and experienced users' recommendations is a disservice.

Feb 7, 2015
24. Apr 3, 2018 3:58 PM in response to: pathwayrev

Yes, CreateSpace will accept formats other than PDF, but as I said, CreateSpace recommends a print-ready PDF. Expect formatting irregularities if you ignore this recommendation, for the reason I've stated.

Perhaps my posts in this thread weren't what you and Davina wanted to hear, but they have been free of snark.

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
25. Apr 3, 2018 5:27 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Thank you very much for the info. This was a much better way to reply. Sorry for any confusion my answer may have caused, i just couldn't get it to work with the PDF for some reason. I do wish i could figure that out on my end. Still trying, but for now I did get lucky with the word doc. upload

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
26. Apr 3, 2018 5:34 PM in response to: pathwayrev

Yeah, i didn't understand the rudeness of the other person's reply. Completely unnecessary, in my opinion. I would love to figure out what I'm doing wrong lol I've tried the suggestions with no luck as of yet, but I'll keep trying. I'm still learning on some of these areas. I'm using MS word and for some  reason I just can't get a clean conversion to PDF. I mean, the PDF that i created looks good... But then, upon upload to CS, the images degrade. I have uploaded books this way before with no problem and i cannot, for the life of me, figure out what I'm doing differently. So for now I had to resort to the quick fix of uploading a doc. since this seemed to remedy the situation. I only shared that info, in case someone else was having the same trouble.

Feb 7, 2015
27. Apr 3, 2018 11:14 PM in response to: DavinaRush

How are you creating the PDF?

Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
28. Apr 4, 2018 5:00 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

I've tried two ways. I've tried to "export" the document as a PDF, and I've also tried "save as" a PDF. Both times it saved fine and looked fine to me. The degradation of the images showed up after upload. Well, i say showed up, but even in the virtual preview they look good. However, that's when I get the low dpi message. So, I'm thinking that even though the images look fine to me in the PDF, the degradation is in the conversation from doc. to pdf.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...