Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1,983 Views 30 Replies Last post: Apr 4, 2018 2:03 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 10 posts since
Jan 11, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2018 6:17 AM

DPI issues when going from Pages to PDF

I created my doc (book) in Mac Pages and graphics (line drawings using Pages shapes and text) created there look fine. But when I export to PDF for submission they drop below the DPI threshhold and become blurry. My proofs from CreateSpace are unacceptable for this reason.

I've tried every work-around I can think of. I have scanned the images as a jpeg and dropped them in.

I created them in Photoshop Elements (what I have), saved them as jpeg's and dropped them in.

All with the same result.

I'm working on two mss simultaneously and both have the same problem with both.

What can I do to get the PDF version to look crisp???

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Feb 6, 2018 7:02 AM in response to: pathwayrev
Re: DPI issues when going from Pages to PDF

I am a PC user, so I can only say what I've read here.  Pages is problematic, and so is Mac's PDF conversion.

You might try installing OpenOffice.  It's free, has a version for Mac, opens Pages files, and converts to PDF.

There are members here who use OpenOffice on PC to create their PDFs, by opening their Word files in OO, then export to PDF.

No matter how you get your PDF, you should check it very very carefully, page by page.  If you set Reader to: View > Page Display > Two Page View and tick Show Cover in Two Page View, you will see the pages in reader's spreads, as it will print.

Note that your images will be screened. Some people, new to commercial printing see this as something wrong, and it can somewhat degrade image sharpness, especially compared to printing on our desktop printers.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
2. Feb 6, 2018 7:13 AM in response to: pathwayrev

Don't just rely on my answer . . . check back to see if some of our regular Mac users have a thought.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
4. Feb 6, 2018 8:39 AM in response to: pathwayrev

Don't know if this will help, but:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-pages-documents-openoffice-writer-64446.html

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65846

Obviously I don't use Pages, but in Word, for example, it will "compress" images (i.e. downsize) by default, unless it is disabled before you insert an image.  Once you insert an image with "compression" on and you save the file, you've saved an altered image.  It will never be okay.

Kind of like this?  If what you did was change Image > Mode > Bitmap then this is what you'll get even if the image is good.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 6, 2018 9:43 AM in response to: pathwayrev

There is no reason not to use italics if you want them.  The only thing is to make sure that you actually have the italic font and that Word or Page, or whatever, isn't just obliquing the characters to create a faux font, often called a synthtic font. You need to have a font for every character effect (italic, bold, bold italic . . . if you use them).

You can compare documents in Word, for example.  This is more than just a side by side thing, but it actually highlights everything that is different in one file from the other.

In my version of Word, for example, File > Options > Advanced > Image size and Quality > Do not compress images in this file. You must be disable "compression."

While CS will accept Word files, do not upload a Word file.  Create your own PDF, look at it very very carefully, page by page, line by line.  Correct things, make a new PDF, look at it very very carefully, page by page, line by line. When It is right, upload it.  You'll have many fewer problems this way.

Before you go to far, why not take a small file through the entire process, it can be part of your book.  Give it a throw-away title.  Free ISBN.  See if you can get from here to there the way you want.  For less than around $12 (cost of the book and shipping in the US) you'll have an answer.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
8. Feb 6, 2018 11:40 AM in response to: pathwayrev

Actually, the comparison thing is a feature of Word . . . comparing two version of the same document.  You said you had lost italics, well that's a way to find them.

Click in the footers to make them active.  Go through the file and look at them, page by page.  It is possible that the footer box, is too big somewhere in the document.

I've got to run . . . but I'll check the post later.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
11. Feb 7, 2018 8:17 AM in response to: pathwayrev

Unfortunately, where you disable image "compression" varies with nearly each version of Word!  Here are two examples:

• File > Options > Advanced > Image size and quality > Do not compress images in this document
  • Click an image to bring up the Picture Tools ribbon > Click Compress Pictures Click options > Uncheck 'Automatically perfrom basic compression on save' > Click OK > Make sure 'Apply to selected pictures only' is unchecked and hit ok

I would do a Google search.

Walton

Level 4 2,936 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
12. Feb 7, 2018 9:57 AM in response to: pathwayrev

pathwayrev wrote:

Note that I am unfamiliar with Word.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of folks trying to format their books who admit they haven't learned how to use their software. "I don't know how to drive a car, but someone please point me to the freeway." Hard to understand, in light of the gazillions of free online tutorials, how-tos, documentation, videos, etc. At suggestions they take the time to learn how the software works, many of them get huffy. "How dare you," they say. "I want to publish a book, not waste time learning about software."  Ees a puzzlement.

Level 4 2,936 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
14. Feb 7, 2018 3:23 PM in response to: pathwayrev

You're right, I jumped the gun. The endless procession of folks who don't bother to learn to use their software has left me with a short fuse. I tarred you with the same brush and I apologize.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...