Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
1,684 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 18, 2018 11:53 AM by KikayonPub RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 15, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2018 10:47 AM

Book signing book return question

A group is ordering books from me for a signing. They want 50. They've asked if they can return any that don't sell. What are your thoughts?  I'd rather not deal with that. But, wondering what you all have done.

Level 4 2,924 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Feb 13, 2018 1:23 PM in response to: mzladyj
Re: Book signing book return question

It's standard procedure for bookstores to return unsold books. As for a "group," it's your call.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
3. Feb 13, 2018 2:49 PM in response to: mzladyj

If you do a lot of signings and can take the others with you to the next one, then I'd say yes. 

If they would rot in your garage if they return them, I'd say no.

This is why POD is such a good deal, no financial risk.

Level 3 333 posts since
Feb 11, 2016
4. Feb 13, 2018 3:30 PM in response to: mzladyj

Since they want 50 books for the signing, if you decide to go ahead, you should perhaps put in a restriction regarding the number or percentage of returned books you would accept.  This would hopefully allow you to reduce your risk and perhaps cause the group to determine how many they actually need and how many buyers actually exist.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Feb 13, 2018 5:23 PM in response to: BooksAndMore

Good idea.  Or maybe a "restocking fee".

Level 3 434 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
7. Jul 18, 2018 11:53 AM in response to: BooksAndMore
Since they want 50 books for the signing, if you decide to go ahead, you  should perhaps put in a restriction regarding the number or percentage  of returned books you would accept.  This would hopefully allow you to  reduce your risk and perhaps cause the group to determine how many they  actually need and how many buyers actually exist.

That is how I would look at it. I direct an organization that occasionally sponsors readings and lectures by authors. We always obtain the author's book, but I never order as many as 50 copies. Sometimes I order the minimum number that the publisher will permit.

We usually don't sell out. Sometimes an author offers to buy the remaining copies at cost, if s/he has other events scheduled where the sponsor isn't ordering books.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...