This discussion is archived
421 Views 3 Replies Last post: Feb 18, 2018 4:16 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 11, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2018 2:57 PM

margin issues? formatting issue?

Hello,

I am completely new to all of this formatting and am about to rip my hair out. I have selected the 6x9 layout and edited margins, gutters, etc on Word. Page numbers and everything is included. Then, once I upload my PDF and view it through createspace the title of my individual poems (poetry book) keeps merging into the previous page. On Word it looks perfect, but Createspace seems to mess the spacing and everything up. Help??

Level 5 3,860 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Feb 13, 2018 3:12 PM in response to: veronikai
Re: margin issues? formatting issue?

If you truly uploaded a PDF - after reviewing every single page of it - there would be no difference between that and what you see on CS in the Interior Reviewer (IR).  Some people may come in here and tell you that the IR is totally unreliable, but I've done 42 books with CS and have NEVER found it to be any different than what the final book looked like.  I've done books which are very heavy on photos and also books with no photos at all - never found the IR to be unreliable.

Oh, you do realize, don't you, that for a 6 x 9 book, your page size in both Word and also in your PDF MUST be 6 x 9?

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Level 5 5,597 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Feb 13, 2018 3:21 PM in response to: veronikai

It's possible your fonts are not embedded in the PDF you uploaded. This would mean it would look fine on your system (which has those fonts installed), but when CS processes it, their system has to replace the font with one it has, which could have different characteristics. How did you create the PDF?

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 18, 2018 4:16 AM in response to: veronikai

To Sarah's point, it is possible that one or more fonts is not embedded in your PDF.  For example, if you used a .otf font . . .

For example, all Adobe fonts are .otf: This is the file extension (arial.ttf is a true type font, whereas minion_pro.otf is an open type font) used by open type fonts.  Although you can use otf fonts in Word, Word will not embed them in Word files or in PDF made using Word's Save as PDF feature . . . you can make a PDF with .otf fonts embedded by using a PDF conversion program.

. . . it won't embed when you make a PDF using Word's Save as PDF feature.  But, and this is the confusing part, if you check your PDF, it will look fine!?  Yeap!  Because if a PDF calls for a font that is not embedded, it will look for that font on whatever system the PDF is being opened on.  So if it's your computer, and you have the font, the PDF will look okay.  But if you open that PDF on my computer and I do not have the font, the PDF reader will substitute a "similar" font.  And that could be what is happening.

When you create a PDF to upload, look at it very carefully, page by page, line by line.  In Reader, set it: View > Page Display > Two Page View and also select Show Cover in Two Page View.  You will see the file in reader's spread, like it will print.  Go to File > Properties > Fonts and see if every font is embedded, subsetting is okay. For example, if you use bold italic in Word, if the font (e.g.arial_bolditalic.ttf) does not exist, World will create a bold italic.  You'll see it in Word, but it won't exist in the PDF.

Acrobat is the gold standard for PDFs.  But you can also use primoPDF, doPDF, PDF995, cutePDF, OpenOffice, etc.. . . oh, all free!  If you do use one of these, except for OO, you will have to set the trim/output/paper size, and if asked alsways select the better, print related preset and embed/download fonts.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...