Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
419 Views 4 Replies Last post: Feb 19, 2018 5:15 PM by stevoz RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 14, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2018 9:16 AM

Final Proof Word Document messed up.

I downloaded my 6 X 9 final proof for my novel to do the final correction (spelling, punctuation), but when I converted to Word to do the corrections (and I used Create Space's 6 X 9 Word Template), the formatting got messed up in at least 2 different places in the document.

It is somewhat hard to describe, other than parts of paragraphs/sentences are bleeding over from one page into the middle of the next page or chapter. In some cases, I can't even type on certain pages. I am trying to retype the sections from the original pdf file, but Word won't let me access that page. It's like my computer has gremlins.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? If so, what did you do to correct it? So frustrating to be this close to finishing the book and have something like this happen.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Level 5 3,872 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Feb 19, 2018 9:48 AM in response to: Mapman53
Re: Final Proof Word Document messed up.
I downloaded my 6 X 9 final proof for my novel to do the final correction (spelling, punctuation), but when I converted to Word...

Huh?  To edit (make final corrections) you do not want to convert a PDF from CS to Word, you want to go back to your original Word document and correct everything there and then create a new PDF.  After checking the newly created PDF very carefully (page by page, line by line) and finding nothing wrong with it, then upload that new PDF to CS.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Feb 19, 2018 11:42 AM in response to: Mapman53

Dan'l is correct. And I would be surprised if there aren't more things wrong with the PDF > Word conversion.  This sort of conversion in Acrobat has improved hugely, but it is far from perfect.  I've even seen text moved.  Once you know that could happen, you need proofread even more carefully.

So, go back to the source file (Word).  Because it cannot be said too often, convert your file to PDF.  Open in in Reader.  Set it to View > Page Display > Two Page View and also tick Show Cover in Two Page View. This will show your book in reader's spreads.  Also check File > Properties > Fonts, to make sure all the fonts are embedded, subsetting is okay.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 4 1,539 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
4. Feb 19, 2018 5:15 PM in response to: Mapman53

Hi Mapman53,

Part of my response here is just to reinforce the messages above, and perhaps add a little.

Mapman53 wrote:

Question, with the proof being in 6 X 9 format, does it matter that I send the proof back in the same format?

If you intend the book to printed and trimmed to 6" x 9", then you should submit a 6" x 9" PDF (or Word file, but PDF is better). Don't send the proof back; that's not the process. Send a PDF of your own making, from your Word file. The proof PDF is for you to review, not edit.

Mapman53 wrote:

So I should use the final document that I submitted during the "Internal Review" process to make the corrections too. And, then convert to pdf (per your instructions) and then send that back as the corrected final proof?

Yes, that's the process. Go back to your Word file, the one that you submitted, and make your edits there, and save the Word file (as a Word file). Then, export it as a PDF file, or save it as a PDF file (different versions of Word have different ways of doing this). Submit the PDF. Don't think of it as submitting "the corrected final proof". You don't submit proofs, they send proofs to you for your review. You submit your manuscript, formatted and print-ready.

But please note, PDF is not really designed for editing, not even the one you save or export from Word. You won't edit that PDF if you need to make changes. You'll continue to use your Word file, you'll edit the Word file and save the Word file. Then, when you're ready to submit your work to CreateSpace, export it as a PDF and submit that.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...