3,476 Views 16 Replies Last post: Apr 17, 2018 1:55 PM by JoeLuvs2Write RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 1 posts since
Sep 11, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2018 11:09 AM

Book suppressed

Hello,

My book has been suppressed days ago. CS officials sent me an email to produce copyright information that proves my right to be the author of my book. I have emailed with the documentation that I have, i.e, the tax information documents signed by me they provided at the time of registration. Now what to do with that? Will my book be available soon? Please let me know if possible.

Level 5 5,599 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Feb 19, 2018 1:09 PM in response to: PPD92
Re: Book suppressed

Tax information has nothing to do with copyright. They need proof that you hold the copyright to the work. This would be a copyright registration or something similar. Did you publish under a pen name, or does part of your work appear elsewhere on the internet?

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Feb 19, 2018 3:35 PM in response to: PPD92

Judging by recent forum postings, they are doing a lot more of this now for some reason.

Send them a polite email stating that the work is your own, original writing.  They are doing this because they see similarity between your book and something else online.  It could be something as simple as an excerpt you posted for marketing purposes.

After a while someone will review your email and they'll unsuppress your book.

Level 0 9 posts since
Nov 27, 2014
3. Feb 23, 2018 6:47 AM in response to: PPD92

I got the exact same thing. After three emails--two of which are statements by me saying this is original work--and a phone call, they still haven't done anything...or given me any information about why my book was chosen.

They told me they accept three documents:

(1) a statement by the former publisher saying copyright has reverted back to me. As a self-published author, I don't have a "former" publishing company to state that copyright was released to me. There's no reversion of copyright. They say they're not allowed to accept a statement from the author, so that's out. I founded my own publishing company, but if they want a statement from that company, it would essentially be coming from the same source: me, the author. I sent them two statements already anyway

(2) a statement saying I publish under a psudonym. I don't

(3) a statement saying the content isn't published anywhere else and that I own the copyright. I have the e-book published with Createspace and Draft2Digital. Not sure if electronic publication counts as the same.

Not much recourse. This is grating to say the least. I don't need to restock yet, but come March, I'm going to need more copies stat. On Monday, I'm going to call again and force them to put me through to someone who can resolve this or at least give me more info about why I'm being accused of copyright infringement.

Anyone else who's experiencing this, I suggest you do the same. One voice is quiet. More voices is louder. They'll hear us.

Level 0 4 posts since
Feb 23, 2018
4. Feb 23, 2018 7:26 AM in response to: PPD92

I think it is better to contact administration with such questions

Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 27, 2014
5. Feb 24, 2018 9:08 AM in response to: PPD92

The customer support around this issue on CS is extremely poor. 

I got an email stating that I needed to provide proof I owned the copyrights to

the book I submitted.  I replied within an hour of receiving their email, forwarding

a scanned copy of my certificate of registration for the book to the email address

they provided. After two days and no change,  I contacted CS requesting a timeline

on the process and when my book would be released. . . they promised an

answer within 24 hours.

What I received was an email suggesting I email that department

they even listed and email address to that department that didnt work. 

Now it's been almost a week and I'm scheduled to

release my paperback in ten days and I don't even know if the download to CS was

successful.

Does anyone know how long this process takes?

I've already started my marketing push for the release and will be forced to go with a different POD just to

meet my release date.

Level 0 4 posts since
Oct 21, 2013
6. Feb 24, 2018 11:16 AM in response to: RLST

Spoke to a CreateSpace rep yesterday on the phone and he told me "thousands" of titles have been accidentally suppressed, and CreateSpace is working to resolve the issue. This is obviously disappointing, but it explains why so many are having issues. You're not alone!

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
7. Feb 24, 2018 11:28 AM in response to: Mattman

Wow!  Thank you for sharing this.

Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 19, 2016
8. Feb 25, 2018 12:21 PM in response to: PPD92

Thanks for sharing this. I have the same problem. My book is in the market for around two years, but now it has been suppressed for more than three days. I have contacted them, but there has been no response. Also, no one even has told me that the book has been suppressed and for what reasons. If there is a technical problem that has resulted in thousands of books suppressed, why do not they inform us about it? 

Level 0 4 posts since
Oct 21, 2013
9. Feb 25, 2018 2:50 PM in response to: Abdul1234

Yes, they really need to provide an official update on this. My title got unsupressed yesterday, after recieving an email saying my identity had been confirmed... and today it's been suppressed again. This is maddening, and they're leaving everyone in the dark about the issue.

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 25, 2018
10. Feb 25, 2018 3:12 PM in response to: PPD92

Maybe you all should open your eyes to what is really going on!! I’m sure that CS doesn’t want anyone to know they have fake people publishing books that they do not own the rights to! Jessie Ward, Tim Rogers, Deckard Shaw, Melinda Lorton, B T A Publishing, J. Jackson, all of the supposed people have Disney’s Tim Burton’s Nightmare before Christmas coloring books with unauthorized use of material!! The list goes on to DC and Marvel as well!! It is Blatant COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT and should be dealt with appropriately! It’s amazing to me some of the advice on this thread! Especially... CS “accidentally”  suppressed thousands of books!? Seriously y’all wake up and find yourself a new publisher before the take you down with them the rug is about to get pulled

Level 4 2,836 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
11. Feb 25, 2018 4:40 PM in response to: COPYRIGHTNAZI

COPYRIGHTNAZI wrote:

Seriously y’all wake up and find yourself a new publisher before the take you down with them the rug is about to get pulled

We appreciate the heads-up, Chicken Little.

Level 0 9 posts since
Nov 27, 2014
12. Feb 26, 2018 5:59 AM in response to: Mattman

Exactly the same thing here as @Mattman: I proved mine--even sent documents stating I owned the copyright for my other books (that aren't suppressed), just to head this thing up in advance--and got my book unsuppressed...for about 12 hours. Now it's back down.

I'm on the phone with them for a third time trying to clear this up and get answers. If I was on trial, I'd have more information about why I'm being accused than Createspace seems to give. Really disheartening, and my trust in Createspace has dropped to almost nothing now.

All emails to their Content Validation Team get a form response back, no one at their company seems to be able to put me in touch with their CVT even though I've gone up the management levels, and their CVT seems to not know how to leave notes in their tickets about why we're being suppressed. In this Internet age, can they not just glance at a phone directory and put me in touch with them...or at least get the answers and come back to me? Go knock on a door at least!!!

This is ridiculous. Createspace has really dropped the ball with this whole copyright circus!! To this day, I don't even know if their CVT is a team of people or a supercomputer.

Level 0 4 posts since
Oct 21, 2013
13. Feb 26, 2018 2:07 PM in response to: COPYRIGHTNAZI

Well if the rug does in fact get pulled then we'll move on to another on-demand service and Createspace will lose all its business. It's an irritating setback for us but it would be the end of their business, so your conspiracy theory doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 19, 2016
14. Feb 27, 2018 10:19 AM in response to: PPD92

I received an email that my book is, no longer, 'Suppressed'. It was on sale only for one day (today) and is now back to 'Suppressed'. I am wondering what the problem is.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...