Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
454 Views 3 Replies Last post: May 16, 2018 6:00 AM by Miblart RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 10, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2018 11:02 AM

Question about book cover

I am new to this. I want to employ a caricaturist to design a cover for my book. Are there any specifications that I should inform him about other than the size of the cover? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Level 5 5,592 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Feb 25, 2018 1:21 PM in response to: Jim76
Re: Question about book cover

You can get a perfectly sized cover template from https://www.bookow.com/resources.php#cs-cover-template-generator. You should also point your designer to the cover specs at https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/CoverPDF.jsp.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 2 130 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
2. Feb 26, 2018 12:23 PM in response to: Jim76

Explain that the cover is one sheet of card stock tht wraps around the book: back, spine, front.

Discuss the design concept (at the rough sketch stage) if you will be adding title/author to the front cover yourself (or the artist may hand-letter it.)  This is so you won't be covering up any vitsl elements of the artwork with title/author text.

Spine lettering is critical: safer to add the text yourself, since it must fit safely within the limits; the limit for letter height depends on spine thickness, which depends on number of pages.

There will be a bar code on the back cover.  Make the artist aware of size and placement so again the bar code won't cover any important elements of the design.  CS will put the barcode on the bottom right of the back cover; if you want it elsewhere, (such as bottom left or bottom middle, for example) that will work, but you will have to put the barcode there yourself.

Finally, you will probably want some text on the back cover, called a "blurb."  Discuss this with the artist, so that you'll have some light background against which to place the text (if the cover design wraps around to the back.)  Or, the artist may design only the front and you could have a solid color for the back.

You'll notice I've used the word "discuss" several times.  I think it's best to have a bit of back and forth, in person, if possible, with some very rough back-of-the-envelope type sketches.  I don't think either giving the artist free rein, or telling the artist exactly what to do are good ideas, but rather there should be a happy medium.

Level 0 6 posts since
Jul 22, 2016
3. May 16, 2018 6:00 AM in response to: Jim76

Here is  a checklist in which you will find what info you should give to the designer https://miblart.com/blog/checklist-which-help-you-to-survive-in-self-publishing-world/

Self-published author checklist for work with the professional designer

• First of all, determine the publishing platform or publishing company with which you are going to work. Publishing house is important as all of them have got different requirements for the book cover design and a designer should pay attention to it. Ask them to send you the template for your cover or give you size requirements.
  • Please, find out how many pages your book have, what type of paper are you going to use (for CreateSpace or other online platform) and should it be a softcover or hardcover. All these parameters influence the size of the final file, especially the number of the pages affect the size of the spine.
  • Obtain and assign a barcode. Most designers need to put the barcode on the back of your book, so you need to provide him with it beforehand.
  • Create the summary of the book as well as your bio. Every good writer should have a good blurb on the back cover of his book.
    Prepare an author photo on the back of the cover. It should be of high resolution and should not look like a selfie unless you want it to look like a selfie.
  • Prepare a short description of what is your book about. If there are main characters in the story, please, prepare the description of their appearance.
  • When you make the order, you should agree with the designer that you will receive the source file. You will need it in case if you want to make the changes on the cover, for example, change the summary, the author picture or just entirely redesign the cover.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...