This discussion is archived
22,222 Views 33 Replies Last post: May 7, 2013 11:46 AM by northexpress RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
CreateSpaceKate Representative 369 posts since
Nov 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2012 10:54 AM

Royalty Reporting Update

We're updating our reporting system and you may experience a slight delay with the reporting of new royalties over the next few days. Royalties are now reported once manufacturing is complete; previously, they were reported at the beginning of the manufacturing process.

This update should be finalized on Saturday, October 13 and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As always, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Level 5 6,034 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Oct 11, 2012 11:01 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate
Re: Royalty Reporting Update

Thank you for this update as there have been a number of royalty questions on the forums recently. I assume that with this modification there will be some confusion for those using their Amazon ranking increases as a guide to when royalties should appear in their CS dashboard.

As I have posted previously an increase in rank does not always result in a book being produced as Amazon could have sold stock copies or used copies from the marketplace. With this modification it would seem that even in the case of POD production an Amazon rank will now rise 1-2 days prior to the royalties showing (the production time). Something to keep in mind for those using this as an indicator.

R. C.

Level 0 15 posts since
Apr 17, 2008
2. Oct 11, 2012 3:00 PM in response to: R.C.

What is the purpose of the change? How does this benefit CS members?

Mar 10, 2012
3. Oct 11, 2012 3:35 PM in response to: cableboy

Odds are the benifits are not to you as a publisher but to CS from an administrative perspective.

From a pure accounting perspective I can see how this makes more sense, if an order is placed then cancelled prior to production the old system would show the royalty when placed then a credit back when cancelled. In this case royalties are accuratly reported once production is done which is when they would technically be due.

It is doubtful we will get a detailed explination as CS seems pretty tightly guarded as to internal procedures. I don't really see a downside to the change so it's a non-issue to me.

Level 0 43 posts since
Nov 26, 2011
4. Oct 12, 2012 6:33 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Thanks for letting us know.  I know I sold paperbacks on Amazon because my sales rank and author rank changed significantly but the sales have not registered on my CS dashboard. Does a sale that was cancelled prior to production show up as a refund?  Will this change keep that from happening?

Joy

www.createspace.com/3733936

Mar 10, 2012
5. Oct 12, 2012 12:24 PM in response to: romancebyjoy
I know I sold paperbacks on Amazon because my sales rank and author rank changed significantly

Please note that this does not always mean that you will, or should, see new royalties collected. Amazon sales could have come from used books or stocked copies which would cause the sales rank increase but would not produce royalties as the royalties for these books would have already been paid.

Level 0 13 posts since
Sep 18, 2009
6. Oct 14, 2012 3:32 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

My 5th title just went live on CR on Sat 10/6.

1. Does this mean that is the MANUFACTURING DATE?

It is live on my eStore as well as on Amazon.

2.Some other companies have listed my book also on Amazon,

how do they actually get my book?  Are they actually getting

my pdf and BYPASSING me, what's up with that?

3. My CR eStore hyperlink is https://www.createspace.com/4003509

for the title I just finished.  How do I know that people viewing this

can not enter my controls.

Appreciative of the CR platform!

Thx,

---GJ

Mar 10, 2012
7. Oct 14, 2012 3:48 PM in response to: GJwrites

1) Your manufacturing date will be whenever a POD book is printed and will change with each order. The date you approved your proof to go live will be your Publication Date.

2) Third party resellers post your book for sale without having it, if they get an order they either have to cancel it (and are just collecting names) or buy a copy from Amazon to fulfill the order. When they buy a copy you will get your royalty on it.

3) In order for someone to have control over any of your information they would need to be logged in with your username and password. So long as you don't give that out then they would only be able to buy the book, not have any control over your dashboard.

R. C.

Level 1 232 posts since
Mar 1, 2012
8. Oct 17, 2012 10:36 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Is the updation process complete ? It's been 4 days and my royalty is still stagnant at where it was on 13th October and I'm sure that I've sold a few copies in the last few days.

Level 1 59 posts since
Feb 14, 2012
9. Oct 18, 2012 8:23 AM in response to: R.C.

I agree with RC, this makes administration for CS easier. It doesn't however fix an underlying problem:

Orders that are make but never fullfilled and eventually get cancelled.

It would be very useful if CS can supply the # of orders that are cancelled by each vendor, in addition to the # of sales. If a vendor has a high number of cancellations, this may highlight a potential problem with that vendor and CS. Hopefully CS itself is tracking these numbers.

Level 1 60 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
10. Nov 15, 2012 6:51 AM in response to: R.C.

R.C. wrote:

Thank you for this update as there have been a number of royalty questions on the forums recently. I assume that with this modification there will be some confusion for those using their Amazon ranking increases as a guide to when royalties should appear in their CS dashboard.

As I have posted previously an increase in rank does not always result in a book being produced as Amazon could have sold stock copies or used copies from the marketplace. With this modification it would seem that even in the case of POD production an Amazon rank will now rise 1-2 days prior to the royalties showing (the production time). Something to keep in mind for those using this as an indicator.

R. C.

The operative word here, I think, is "stock copies" which implies that Amazon can make its own copies unbeknownst to the writers, and possibly obscure the bookkeeping as well. I'd like to know exactly what this term means, but I don't expect anyone to divulge a sensible answer.

The used copies from the marketplace I do understand, although what REALLY happens, as I believe someone else pointed out, is that copies are offered online (or even by bookstores) despite the fact that a real copy isn't ordered or paid for until someone "bites." Considering that many POD books are offered in this way at outrageous prices (one of my $15 books -- not a Create Space one -- has been listed as high as $39 only recently), I'm not surprised that some potential real buyers are confused and put off by such practices.

Level 5 5,218 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
11. Nov 15, 2012 9:54 AM in response to: Donegal

Donegal wrote:

The operative word here, I think, is "stock copies" which implies that Amazon can make its own copies unbeknownst to the writers, and possibly obscure the bookkeeping as well. I'd like to know exactly what this term means, but I don't expect anyone to divulge a sensible answer.

In some cases (certainly not all) Amazon will order multiple copies of a book, usually if it's been selling well, to keep in their warehouse. This is what R.C. meant by "stock copies," copies that Amazon already has in stock, and thus the author has already received royalties for.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Take the Trip of a Lifetime! Coming in December

The Storm is here! View the trailer

Mar 10, 2012
12. Nov 15, 2012 3:20 PM in response to: Donegal

From a retail perspective, stock copies would be copies that a company (such as Amazon) orders in to hold as stock in their store or warehouse (ie these are not POD and presold copies). You get your royalty when they place the large order instead of when they actual sell them.

This means that your could get royalties months prior to Amazon selling and your Amazon ranking changing.

R. C.

Level 0 2 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
13. Nov 17, 2012 12:34 PM in response to: R.C.

This is my first effort at book-writing and royalties.  I am not in this for the money, so I willl agree to any arrangement on royalty reporting that is convenient for you.  All I want is for this process to end and the book gets on the market.  It has been a long process and I hope there are no more decisions to be made.

protea

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 21, 2012
14. Nov 21, 2012 7:17 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

It so very helpful to everybody. Keep it up!

<a href="http://findequilibrium.com ">lose weight centers</a>

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links