Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
472 Views 4 Replies Last post: Apr 26, 2018 1:34 AM by ozed RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 9, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2018 5:12 PM

Can I retire a title and republish it with the same ISBN?

Hi! So I'm completely new to the whole publishing process, and I made the huge mistake of hitting "approve" before my book's actual publication date, which is June 3rd, 2018. (it isn't distributed to any channels or anything, so it's not available for purchase)

I provided my own ISBN number through Bowker for the book, and I know that if I make a whole new title and just wait to hit "approve" until a couple of hours before the actual release date is supposed to happen that I will need to use a new ISBN. Is there any way that the title can be retired and I can just make a new title and use the same ISBN for the new title after the old one is retired, or do I need to use another one of my ISBN's (and then change the book's cover since it has the ISBN printed on it, change the ISBN on goodreads, etc.)

Honestly I feel so incredibly stupid for making this mistake, and I will never be making it again. The only reason I hit "approve" was because I had planned on ordering many copies of the book before its release date for ARCs and whatnot and thought that was the only possible way to do it, and I do have 105 on the way, but clearly I didn't do enough research beforehand. Lesson learned I guess.

Anyways, all suggestions are very much appreciated.

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Apr 24, 2018 6:23 PM in response to: alexandriapm
Re: Can I retire a title and republish it with the same ISBN?

alexandriapm wrote:

Is there any way that the title can be retired and I can just make a new title and use the same ISBN for the new title after the old one is retired...[?]

Probably not, and if there is, it will involve some type of action on the part of CreateSpace -- so my suggestion is to contact them and ask if they can do this. I strongly suspect the answer will be "no" since the book has been published and copies ordered, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

Level 2 487 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
2. Apr 25, 2018 7:48 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Why not just resubmit your interior or cover  file for approval. This will take your book off sale and can then wait to an appropriate time to approve it.  Hopefully the review process will not find any errors.

Cheers .Ed

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Apr 25, 2018 7:51 AM in response to: ozed

It would still carry the original publication date. I understood that to be the problem/issue here -- OP wants the release date of a book that was already released to be a later, future date instead.

Level 2 487 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
4. Apr 26, 2018 1:34 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

I had not spotted that particular motivation, perhaps because I don't understand it.  Not coming from a publishing background perhaps release date was important.  For most pod author s I would suspect it was not significant.

Cheers .ed

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...