1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
231 Views 4 Replies Last post: May 9, 2018 12:43 PM by OmarCI RSS
Level 0 31 posts since
Jan 31, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2018 6:14 AM

Need suggestion to use Fonts

Hi everybody!

I don't want to annoy you too much, because I have been reading inside the community many hours about using fonts in legal way without have any legal issue and I had preatty clear that using fonts installed inside Windows OS was totally safe. By the way the posts that I read were pretty old, like about 10 years and instead of go to sleep I insanly decided to go deeply in the topic.

So I tried to find the fonts license that are not available in windows OS folder without any success as Walton said ones in a post. I even tried to get in touch with microsoft support and they do not provide it, they just do not answer or try to avoid the straight answer that would be: We do not provide it. So what I did is check the Desktop License of Monotype and Linotipe official webs.

There are three points that are not clear at all(only to me maybe):

2_.....only for your Personal or Internal Business Use....

3_...You may embed the Font Software only into an electronic document that (i) is not a Commercial Product...

5_....You may embed the Font Software in an electronic document solely for print and view....

To me sounds like even a paperback printed book for sale in Amazon is a Commercial Product. So I got in touch with Linotype and Monotype contact support and asked. Today they answered me that I am allowed to use Palatino for commercial paperback printed book. I'm happy but not completly sadisfied and I asked what they mean in the points above. Anyway I well saved the email and scanned it into PDF that I will save everywhere

Well here a part your opinion I would need to ask you the following:

1_ I really love Adobe Caslon pro and Palatino Linotype, because I read from you that they are professionally designed to print well and I like their shape, so can you suggest me any Free font that I can use with very good quality similar than Palatino or Caslon for printed book or expecially
E-BOOK and in the future for anything like editing pictures with written words to upload them online for commercial purpose, or write in wattpad?

2_Why nobody of you suggest to use Google free fonts? Is there any reason? I was checking them to find out one for my cover of e-book and paperback

Thanks a lot, sorry to take you so much precious time

Omar

Level 5 5,551 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. May 5, 2018 7:07 AM in response to: OmarCI
Re: Need suggestion to use Fonts

OmarCI wrote:

2_.....only for your Personal or Internal Business Use....

This generally means you can't share the font itself (which is a type of software) with another user or business.

3_...You may embed the Font Software only into an electronic document that (i) is not a Commercial Product...

This means that you can't embed the font in something that will then be sold with the font, like an ebook with the font embedded. You can embed it in a PDF so that the printer can process the font for printing purposes.

5_....You may embed the Font Software in an electronic document solely for print and view....

As I said above, you can embed the font in a PDF so the printer can properly process the file for printing.

1_ I really love Adobe Caslon pro and Palatino Linotype, because I read from you that they are professionally designed to print well and I like their shape, so can you suggest me any Free font that I can use with very good quality similar than Palatino or Caslon...

If you have legally-obtained, licensed copies of these fonts on your system, you are free to use them in your print book.

...or expecially E-BOOK and in the future for anything like editing pictures with written words to upload them online for commercial purpose, or write in wattpad?

Embedding a font in an ebook embeds the actual software in the ebook file. This requires a separate license from the standard desktop license and is usually quite a bit more expensive. In addition, ebook reading devices allow the user to select the font they prefer, so embedding a font and overriding this user choice can be annoying to the user. It's best not to try to control the font used in an ebook beyond serif and sans-serif.

2_Why nobody of you suggest to use Google free fonts? Is there any reason? I was checking them to find out one for my cover of e-book and paperback

Google's fonts are designed for web use. They are not designed for print and may not render will if used in that way.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 5,551 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
3. May 5, 2018 7:49 AM in response to: OmarCI
Re: Need suggestion to use Fonts

OmarCI wrote:

1_ So, I should not use any kind of font in Kindle format? What about if a reader that knows not how to use it visualize the book he bought in a funny font that seems very ugly?

All ebook devices come with a set of pre-installed fonts. If you do not try to impose a font on your ebook, the user can select the font they like from those already installed on their device.

2_ I need to choose a font for my title Cover book that I will use of course for the cover of E-book and Print paperback, so the same font will end up to first pages inside the printed book as well. Do you know any Free Font for that? Google fonts never ever embed for this purpose? I mention google fonts because I checked someone and I have to make a selection and I just find very easy the way how they show the fonts on the official web.

Usually the type on a cover is part of the image and not embedded in the file, so any font for which you have a legal license is fine. If you'd like to find a free commercially-licensed font, try https://www.fontsquirrel.com/ (but be sure to check the actual license for any font you find before you use it).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...