Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
312 Views 3 Replies Last post: May 8, 2018 10:03 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Apr 9, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

May 7, 2018 12:07 PM

Pixels set in Word

The internal reviewer is telling me my pictures are not enough pixels, but I can't see how to change it in Word. It does not give me that option. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can change my pixels? Thank you!

Level 5 15,815 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. May 7, 2018 5:47 PM in response to: GinaB94
Re: Pixels set in Word

You can't change your image resolution in Word. You must ensure your images are 300dpi before inserting them into Word. You must also ensure that your export settings are correct before converting to PDF, as this can also affect image resolution.

~ Michelle ~

Editing, Design and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. May 8, 2018 9:26 AM in response to: GinaB94

There are two small, free, programs that let you check and resize images: xnView and irfanView. Here is a screenshot of irFanView's Resize Image dialogue box:

Set or check:

• The width and height you want (A).
  • Preserve the aspect ratio (B).
  • The resolution (C).
  • If you are resizing, select resample.
    • Generally, most of us find the slowest methods are best.

Some programs will use ppi (pixels per inch) not dpi (dots per inch).

You can, of course use a full feature graphics program for this (GIMP (free), Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, etc.).  These might be better, because sometimes images soften if you increase their resolution a lot, and the shapening features are better.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. May 8, 2018 10:03 AM in response to: GinaB94

I should add that Word wants to "compress" your images, but what it really does is downsize your images.  You must disable image compression.  How, varies with the version of Word you have.  Usually, File > Options > Advanced > Image size and quality > Compress images in this document. Also, do not use Word's Save as PDF, this will downsize your images.  Use a PDF conversion program (primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, etc.)

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...