Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
416 Views 4 Replies Last post: May 11, 2018 6:01 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Oct 4, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2018 5:47 AM

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: A Daughter's Story

Anyone have a suggestion on the best marketing method for a good personal memoir?

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. May 11, 2018 7:02 AM in response to: Daniella1
Re: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: A Daughter's Story

I think the best marketing method is the use of personal appearances (live or online) to tell the most compelling part of your story (the thing that will really make people want to hear/read more). Unless you're already famous, this a long-term strategy to be carried out as time and opportunity permit (i.e., it's not a one-month marketing blitz), but it does work.

Thanks to self-publishing, the marketplace for memoirs is heavily saturated. It seems like almost any human experience that one can imagine has been written about, and with some of the more common themes (drug or alcohol abuse/recovery, discrimination, sexual abuse and harrassment, dysfunctional relationships), new books are being released literally every day -- so consumers in general have grown tired of hearing about certain topics, or maybe they have just been numbed by the sheer volume. Either way, it's especially important to identify what makes your story different from any others with a similar theme.

Level 0 6 posts since
Feb 3, 2010
2. May 11, 2018 8:51 AM in response to: Daniella1

I strongly suggest reaching out to local service clubs. There are  groups in any given city who are looking for speakers and stories to  share with their organization. There are 450  groups who need speakers every week right here in the Denver, Colorado  area where I am at and believe me, if your story is compelling, you will  sell books.

YOU are the answer to every Program Chair's needs...

On  a side note: If you would like a great image of your cover for your  website, let me know. I can do these for $30 each. Here is an example.

Toxicbeliefs

Level 4 2,834 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
3. May 11, 2018 10:43 AM in response to: Daniella1

Here's the only surefire marketing method for memoirs:

1. Become famous.

2. Hire a publicist.

3. Go on a publicity tour.

Make sure you don't skip step #1.

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
4. May 11, 2018 6:01 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Lorem_Ipsum wrote:

Here's the only surefire marketing method for memoirs:

1. Become famous.

Funnily enough, I was going to say exactly the same thing. The lesser option is:

1. (a) Undergo an astonishing (and unique) experience.*

But being famous is definitely the better way. Don't try the accidentally-on-purpose leaked sex tape. It's no short cut (pun intended) to fame unless the other party is already famous. So, encounters with the already famous have potential, but 'The day I saw Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in a bar off Oxford Street' probably needs more meat on the bone. 'What I learnt while doing Vladimir Putin's make-up for thirty years' might cut it, though.

* Alien abduction stories are not unique. Cutting one's own limb off is not unique. Keeping a dead spouse in bed for a decade is not unique. Don't try these ones.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...