Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
164 Views 4 Replies Last post: May 18, 2018 11:30 PM by SandysDream RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Jan 12, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2018 7:08 AM

Getting Started

Good morning!

I am new to createspace and I am working on my very first book.  It is very exciting but I have a lot of questions and I was hoping I could get some advice and suggestions from the community.

The book I am working on is a poetry book.  I am not sure if I should add chapters to the book or not, any suggestions?

Also I thought about adding pictures but I am not sure if the pictures will come out clear and if there is an extra cost to add pictures.

Since it is a poetry book is there any standard for where the margins should be set and if there is what is the standand?

Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Level 5 12,986 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. May 16, 2018 7:36 AM in response to: SandysDream
Re: Getting Started

SandysDream wrote:

I am not sure if I should add chapters to the book or not, any suggestions?

It's up to you. If multiple poems have a similar theme, then it might make sense to group those together in one chapter -- but unless you set out to create works having similar themes, that probably isn't the case.

Also I thought about adding pictures but I am not sure if the pictures will come out clear and if there is an extra cost to add pictures.

There is no extra cost to add images, but adding color images means choosing a full-color interior, which increases the print cost significantly -- so unless color images would add substantial value to the book, you'll probably not do that. Adding black-and-white line art, illustrations, or photos is certainly possible. Will they come out clear? A lot of that depends on what you do to select and prep the images on your end (and the software you have available to assist with that). Assuming you do everything right, print quality is good -- not as good as a glossy magazine (CreateSpace books are printed on offset/plain paper), but as good as any other trade paperback publication.

Since it is a poetry book is there any standard for where the margins should be set and if there is what is the standand?

CreateSpace specifies minimum margin to accept the file for printing, but no, there is no "standard" for poetry. From a design perspective, you have to consider things such as the longest passages that you want to fit on a single line, how poems (especially longer poems) will fit on a page (or multiple pages) when making decisions about trim size, font size, margin settings, etc. There is no "one-size-fits-all" design or page layout. Look at other similar books of poetry for examples.

Level 5 19,507 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. May 16, 2018 1:55 PM in response to: SandysDream
Re: Getting Started

Take a look at some of the free files on my free page. 

If you're worried about image quality, do a test book. Minimum 24 pages, free CS ISBN, throwaway title.  There are many things you can do to improve image quality, and a test book is a great way to see what works. 

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...