Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
148 Views 4 Replies Last post: May 16, 2018 10:26 PM by DarlingAshes RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 8, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2018 1:25 PM

6x9" Book Bleed Problems

Hello everyone!

So I'm working on my first book. It's a poetry, phototgraphy, and art collection. The photos need bleed to the edge of the pages. My error reads: "This image does not bleed far enough outside the trim zone. For best results, images should bleed at least 1/8" of an inch off of the page." I've read the "Bleeds" PDF, but I'm still stuggling. I have Dyscalculia (a learning disorder that's like Dyslexia but with numbers) and anything to do with numbers makes my head spin. Could someone simply lay things out for me? I'm working on Word (2016, I think) and my book is 6x9".

My current margins:

Top: 0.76"

Inside: 0.76"

Gutter: 0.14"

Bottom: 0.76"

Outside: 0.6"

If you need any other information just let me know.

Thank you!

Level 5 19,507 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. May 16, 2018 1:51 PM in response to: DarlingAshes
Re: 6x9" Book Bleed Problems

Unfortunately, you do have to deal with numbers.  If your page size is 6 x 9 and you have images that bleed, your page/paper size must be 6.125 x 9.25.  If you have an image that bleeds, it must extend beyond the trim/paper size (6.x 9) to 6.125" x 9.25: at least on the edge(s) that bleed.

An image can bleed on 1 side, 2 sides, 3 sides, even 4 sides (into the spine edge of the page . . . but you do not create a bleed margin for the inside edge).

Your text block must honor the minimum margins.

If an image does not bleed, it must honor the minimum top, bottom, outside margins, and the 0.25" along the inside edge.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 15,579 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. May 16, 2018 10:07 PM in response to: DarlingAshes
Re: 6x9" Book Bleed Problems

First make the document size 6.125 x 9.25".

Then add 0.125" to each of your existing margin settings.

You can set the gutter to zero.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...