Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
970 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 2, 2018 1:52 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Oct 12, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2018 3:24 PM

Illegal Copies sold by other Vendors?

My book sales has been really low in the last two months (down 75% from Dec Jan sales), but my sales rank is really good still. I am concnred that illigal prints are being sold by other vendors. Is it possible? I trust Amazon.com vendor, but other vendors are also selling new book.

I ordered various .com and .ca of my own book from different vendors and I got copies that are different in size, print quality and even bar code.

For example, two copies (pictures below) were both new, but one was thinnger, different print qulaity, and one in the last page had bar code and place of print and date of print, but other did not!

Is it possible one is illigally printed copy?

https://ibb.co/dtc4hd

https://ibb.co/n7P6vy

https://ibb.co/b68ANd

IMG_0648IMG_0649IMG_0650

Level 2 216 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
1. Jun 2, 2018 8:20 PM in response to: LoveBookWriting
Re: Illegal Copies sold by other Vendors?

I would say -- yes. You are certainly on to something... and it is quite disconcerting. The book without the bar-code on back says it all.

Once the PDF files are out in the world – who is to know what’s really happening. As opposed to a large corporation like Amazon, what really prevents an unscrupulous small vendor from under-reporting their figures from time to time? …Its free money.

I too have had such doubts. I had a few books which I pulled out of Ingram for several months pending thorough revision – and yet I could see those books available as NEW by many books stores (besides Amazon) and that made me scratch my head and wonder. With what you seems to have uncovered – I think my doubts were right, and those other vendors were willing to sell my copies because they had the old PDFs with them to print of off.

Book quality looks bad too. I hope you try to get to the bottom of this.

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jun 4, 2018 7:47 AM in response to: LoveBookWriting

LoveBookWriting wrote:

Is it possible one is illigally printed copy?

Anything is possible, but this is unlikely. As suggested previously, if you enabled any sales channels other than Amazon.com, then you've authorized the printing of the book by multiple print partners and listing/sale of the book by multiple resellers. A few of those print partners do come up short in terms of quality at times (which is most like what you're seeing here). Similarly, some of the sellers listing the book are not really in business to sell books.

This is all just the nature of using print-on-demand and the additional sales channels offered by CreateSpace. Since it is somewhat out of your control (unless you choose a different print provider), all you can really do is try to educate your readers/followers to the fact that you are using print-on-demand (to make the book available at a lower cost than it would be if you produced an offset print run and used the traditional warehousing and distribution supply chain to reach retailers) and that product quality may vary -- but satisfaction is guaranteed (sellers should promptly replace any defective product).

Level 0 5 posts since
Jun 26, 2014
4. Jul 1, 2018 1:18 PM in response to: LoveBookWriting

Amazon states on its website that if you retire your paperback book, Amazon reserves the right to keep on selling any copies they have in stock. This indicated to me that Amazon does purchase a certain amount of physical books. I cannot find that explanation currently to post here. It came up when I retired several books.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Aug 22, 2008
5. Jul 2, 2018 11:45 AM in response to: LoveBookWriting

So does this prove that other vendors keep an inventory?

Inventory in the context of a print-on-demand book is not quite the same as book inventory in a traditional distribution chain.

Keep in mind that a reported 20 to 30 percent of online book purchases are returned by the customer to the seller. There is also a substantial number of books that are ordered (and printed in the case of POD), then the customer cancels the order before the book is shipped. These, and returned books that are in new condition, can go back into retail stock ("inventory" if you want to call it that) to fulfill the next customer order.

In many cases, however, shipping to and from the customer has left the book in less-than-new condition, and Amazon and other online retailers regularly auction these books off by the lot. So legitimate third-party resellers do end up with them at times (but usually no more than one or two copies of a given title). And in the case of a CreateSpace/Amazon POD book, the royalty would have already been paid (perhaps months or even years earlier when the book was printed), so when that third-party sells such a book, there is not another recorded sale or royalty payment.

Level 0 5 posts since
Jun 26, 2014
6. Jul 2, 2018 12:57 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Lighthouse: Where exactly are you getting the 20-30% return rate on online book purchases at Amazon? Are you talking paperback? or eBook? or both?

That is a huge number. Sometimes people make a mistake and think the book is free or, say, 99 cents. Amazon is often not clear on this until the amount shows up in the follow-up eMail. Could this possibly be 20-30%?

Aug 22, 2008
7. Jul 2, 2018 1:52 PM in response to: TravelOn

TravelOn wrote:

Where exactly are you getting the 20-30% return rate on online book purchases at Amazon?

I didn't say that was the rate for Amazon -- just online book retailers in general. To my knowledge, Amazon doesn't share data like that.

Customer returns are a huge problem for online retailers, and there have been dozens of studies citing the rate of customer returns on various categories of merchandise, which is why I cited a broad range. One of the publishing trade groups estimated 22% a couple of years ago for books. Yes, that seems like a huge number to me, as well, but it is believable when you examine the online shopping habits of consumers (the subject of many of those studies -- you can do a web search and quickly find several). Be grateful we're not making/selling clothing and apparel. Those online returns (overall) are reportedly in the 40 to 50 percent range, with some boutique/fashion categories well over 80%.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...