Skip navigation
1,779 Views 34 Replies Last post: Jun 22, 2018 9:01 AM by slimblock RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 23 posts since
Feb 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2018 5:51 PM

Mass Market Paperback edition + copyright

There appears on my Amazon book page a third edition of my book that I did not authorize, called "Mass Market Paperback."  I never authorized any editions other than Kindle and Paperback, which is printed through CreateSpace. CreateSpace told me that third party sellers will do this, sell as new a book that they order from my paperback link, and that they can make up their own ASIN number for it, not even identify it with the book's ISBN number, on the Amazon page. So whatever they are selling is actually a lie -- a way for them to sell the book new? I doubt if I ever see royalties on it either.

Seller Central told me that they have no control over who does what (apparently are not concerned with my rights as the author), and to speak to Kindle, as if Kindle (not Create Space) has provided my files for the Mass Market Paperback.   How exactly would KDP be allowed to do that, I wonder?

The people I spoke to were not helpful whatsoever. It is false and misleading to be offering a third unauthorized edition of my book, and I'm puzzled that this is permitted by Amazon. As the copyright owner, I own the right to all editions of my book, and a so-called "Mass Market Paperback" is not anything I have published. It's phony, and I believe it is an infringement of my rights.

It's all very fishy. Have others been concerned with "Mass Market Paperback" editions popping up of their books, that they did not authorize?

Level 2 223 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
1. Jun 4, 2018 9:11 PM in response to: slimblock
Re: Mass Market Paperback edition + copyright

you are maybe a victim of piracy?

https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/09/10/scammers-are-using-createspace-to-spam-amazon-with-pirated-textbooks/

Your book probably is selling well -- and someone is riding on your success and have come up with a pirated edition of their own?

Level 4 2,973 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Jun 4, 2018 9:08 PM in response to: slimblock

slimblock wrote:

As the copyright owner, I own the right to all editions of my book, and a so-called "Mass Market Paperback" is not anything I have published. It's phony, and I believe it is an infringement of my rights.

Instead of stressing over it, look at it as another retail outlet offering your book. Suppose a third-party seller sells a copy, misclassifiying it as a mass-market paperback. You would receive a royalty. And a sale is a sale, nyet?

Level 2 260 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
4. Jun 6, 2018 7:33 AM in response to: slimblock

What CreateSpace told you is correct, though in my experience Amazon will always remove a spurious listing. They've done it several times for me. ("Spurious" is a good word to use. I picked it up from another publisher who had this problem.)

Your beef is with Amazon, not CreateSpace, and it is Amazon that can help you.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: https://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Feb 7, 2015
6. Jun 7, 2018 9:20 AM in response to: slimblock

Please provide a link to the bogus book.

Level 5 15,819 posts since
May 4, 2008
7. Jun 7, 2018 4:29 PM in response to: slimblock

Have you tried to buy a copy? That will tell you if it's just a marketplace reseller listing (which is legal), or a pirate copy.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Feb 7, 2015
9. Jun 8, 2018 10:34 AM in response to: slimblock

Again, how about a link to the bogus book?

Level 2 501 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
11. Jun 9, 2018 1:26 AM in response to: slimblock

Why would you not give a link?   We could then all see how this looks and perhaps cooperatively come up with a way forward.  This what this forum is all about.   Helping each other. And that means sharing information that could be useful to all users.   No good being a voice crying in the wilderness.   Otherwise what was the point of your original post?

Cheers. Ed

Level 5 5,712 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
12. Jun 9, 2018 5:25 AM in response to: slimblock

Just contact Amazon through Author Central and explain that there is no Mass Market edition of your book, which is published through CreateSpace. Provide the ISBN for your CS edition and request that Amazon merge the spurious listing with the real listing. It happens to others, and Amazon will resolve it if you explain the issue properly (it happened to me, and this resolved it). It's not anyone stealing your content or your PDF files. It's a Marketplace seller setting up their own (eroneous) listing for the book using an ASIN instead of the actual ISBN for the book. Explain this, and Amazon will correct it.

No one is stealing your IP. Just get it resolved and move on.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on   Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual   English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 5,712 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
14. Jun 9, 2018 8:54 AM in response to: slimblock

slimblock wrote:

I did all of that with Amazon and CreatSpace, but I didn't get a helpful person at either end.

Did you request, through Author Central, that Amazon merge the listing with your CreateSpace listing? If you approach either company with the idea that they are at fault for some kind of theft, then you're not likely to get a very positive response but rather a defensive one. If you simply provide your ISBN and the ASIN for the other listing (which is the fault of the Marketplace seller and not CS or Amazon) and request that they merge the listings, they are quite likely (in my experience) to do just that, and your problem will be solved.

I ordered my book, and five days later, I have not received a royalty report on it, and the royalty report is supposed to be listed within 2-3 days.

Marketplace sellers usually get their information (and then order books) through the Expanded Distribution Channels of CS. If that is the case with this book, then the sale could take up to two months to report in your CS Dashboard. If you have the book (or when it arrives), see if there is production information on the last page. If there is, provide that to CS Customer Support and ask them to trace the royalty for you.

You insist that my book was not stolen for some reaon, even though I say it was. I don't quite understand that. Just move on, you say.  But I want to get to the bottom of this and find out the party that stole my book and sells it along side of my real book on my Amazon book page.

Because we have yet to actually see a proven case where someone's CreateSpace book was actually stolen. We've asked you for the URL for this erroneous listing and you have yet to provide it, so we can't actually see what may be the case. Several of us have provided you likely scenarios based on our years of experience and many, many similar threads in this forum (where it turned out to be exactly as we have described here).

Excuse me for also thinking that Amazon and CreateSpace allow this theft to happen, and that they are partly to blame.

Again, there has never, to my knowledge, been a proven case of theft from a CreateSpace publisher. But if you refuse to allow us to actually see this false listing, we really can't provide you more information about the likely cause than what has already been stated in this thread.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...