Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
287 Views 9 Replies Last post: Jun 6, 2018 4:50 PM by bradywade RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Jun 5, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2018 1:27 PM

How do I find a great editor? Any Suggestions?

Hey Everyone!

I am new here and I'm in the process of writing my memoirs.  I have a co-writer (my wife, who has a lot of writing experience), but we would love to find a great, professional editor to assist us before we publish.  Any suggestions and how much should we expect to pay a good editor?  Thanks, Brady Wade

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Jun 5, 2018 2:11 PM in response to: bradywade
Re: How do I find a great editor? Any Suggestions?

Here is one guideline that may be helpful:

https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

Level 1 118 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
3. Jun 5, 2018 5:03 PM in response to: bradywade

Brady -- I bet you are someone rich and/or famous -- to splurge that kind of money -- like maybe $10k @ the going rate of 25cents per word -- just for editing !!

Good for you man... I would think like a 100 times to part with even 2 cents per word  -- not that 25 cent per word is not worth it – but only because I could never recoup it from the sale of the book – unless I was famous -- or so rich as to miss 10K as like dust upon my hands.

Level 5 15,637 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Jun 5, 2018 5:18 PM in response to: some1

25c per word is for writing, not editing.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Level 1 118 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
5. Jun 5, 2018 9:25 PM in response to: lipmag

This is Dollar One. Here is Dollar Two. And with this I can buy some coffee. I can see the coins plunking down. Shining quarters falling – one after another. I guess I need just a few more and I shall be order a burger now—and some coke. No, no that’s not good – for I am getting greedy now. Here now I have already made minimum wage. I guess it took me just a minute or two. Here sir is my invoice – please you owe me Dollar Twenty Three and a quarter now.

…and the smiley is all free for you – see how gracious of me.

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
6. Jun 6, 2018 7:26 AM in response to: bradywade

bradywade wrote:

Do you have any recommednations of editors you have used in the past?

Are you seeking a mechanical edit (proofread) of what you consider a final manuscript, or are you seeking a more substantive, developmental edit (someone who can help organize the content, identify sections of the content to shorten/eliminate or expand, rewrite portions of the content to improve impact and clarity, check things like dates/events/locations for accuracy and consistency, etc.)?

Or maybe you are seeking other editorial-related services (for example, we've have authors contact us who stated that they needed a "book editor," but what they really wanted was assistance with design, layout/formatting, and preparation of print-ready and ebook-ready files, not the types of content editing described above).

Clarifying the specific service(s) you're seeking may help generate recommendations (or even responses from members here who provide those services).

Level 4 2,831 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
7. Jun 6, 2018 11:03 AM in response to: bradywade

Editors abound. But great editors? They're rare animals, and they don't work cheap.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...