Skip navigation
130 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jun 5, 2018 7:00 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 1, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2018 5:13 PM

Converting back to Word from PDF without loosing formatting?

Hi everybody, I just recently published my first Createspace paperback. I planned to publish the book as an ebook soon after, but I'm having trouble because of a stupid mistake I made. You know how it can be, when you're an impatient self-publisher type. I converted my final draft directly into a PDF without saving it as a Word document as well. So, now I'm sort of staring at my PDF in quiet agony wondering how I'm going to reformat it for Kindle when I can't edit a PDF.

So, I've been expirimenting, but I haven't found a good way to get my final manuscript back into a Word document to adjust the formatting and resubmit for Kindle. I don't know if there is something I could do to fix it myself, or if I need to get some kind of professional help with it. Can anyone give me some advice? I would really appreciate it.

Level 5 15,637 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Jun 5, 2018 5:24 PM in response to: AugustNight
Re: Converting back to Word from PDF without loosing formatting?

Acrobat Pro can convert PDF back to Word, but there’s a lot of cleanup to do to the resulting file, eg. deleting headers/footers from the middle of paragraphs.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Level 1 118 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
2. Jun 5, 2018 6:55 PM in response to: AugustNight

<<<I converted my final draft directly into a PDF without saving it as a Word document as well.>>.

...how did you convert it to PDF? using what software? how did you make the final draft...without having several intermediate versions in between? usually writers would have 10's or 100's of copies of their document on their way to the final draft.

... MS Word 2016 allows you to edit PDF files -- but it may not be pretty and you will have to put in a lot of work..

Level 4 2,831 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
3. Jun 5, 2018 7:00 PM in response to: AugustNight

A friend of mine converted a PDF back to Word and spent a week fiddling with the formatting, as Michelle warned. He said it would have been faster to retype it.

Also, loosing formatting is undesirable.You want your fomatting tight, and you'd be losing that.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...