Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
883 Views 16 Replies Last post: Jun 14, 2018 2:58 AM by Djwillz RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 3 posts since
Oct 21, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2018 9:53 AM

Suppressed book repeatedly

My book was placed in suppressed status on 6/3/2018 I sent my copyright certificate and it was in process on Sunday 6/10/18. I called June 11th and the rep stated it will be active again and it’s a one time thing. Today at 3:30 am it was ready to be published again the. At 6:34 am it was placed back in suppresses. It’s getting frustrating and hurting my business. Has anyone else went through this? What do I do?

Level 1 86 posts since
Aug 9, 2012
1. Jun 12, 2018 12:04 PM in response to: Djwillz
Re: Suppressed book repeatedly

I haven't had that issue, so I can't speak from experience, but I looked it up and apparently that's been happening a lot with authors this year and it has happened in the past. From this year, someone mentioned many books have been marked 'suppressed' in error, so it's possible that's what is happening with yours (especially since you provided a copyright certificate).

As a side note, reading your post and the others I looked up now has me worried. Apparently, if this happens you need to provide proof that you're the copyright holder. So what happens to the many authors who don't register their book for copyright (because copyright exists the moment your book is written anyway) and they write under a pen name, too? Where exactly would they get the (registered) proof to provide to CreateSpace?

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
2. Jun 12, 2018 12:42 PM in response to: Auzora25

Auzora25 wrote:

I haven't had that issue, so I can't speak from experience, but I looked it up and apparently that's been happening a lot with authors this year and it has happened in the past. From this year, someone mentioned many books have been marked 'suppressed' in error, so it's possible that's what is happening with yours (especially since you provided a copyright certificate).

As a side note, reading your post and the others I looked up now has me worried. Apparently, if this happens you need to provide proof that you're the copyright holder. So what happens to the many authors who don't register their book for copyright (because copyright exists the moment your book is written anyway) and they write under a pen name, too? Where exactly would they get the (registered) proof to provide to CreateSpace?

When I first started to see this being talked about, people only needed to reply to the email confirming that they owned the copyright & the books would go live. That was some time ago though & it seems that for a while now, it's been happening more often & even several times for the same book.

I read that for some it could be that they were publishing books that had previously been with a publisher that has closed down, so copyright is being questioned if previous copies are still being found somewhere online.

For others it could be that their content is (or is assumed to be) public domain, which has also been published before (in part or in full).

As to where people go next after being suppressed more than once, I have no idea but I've not seen anyone being suppressed with a never before published work. (I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that I've not seen that mentioned).

Level 1 86 posts since
Aug 9, 2012
3. Jun 12, 2018 1:39 PM in response to: Acheknia

Acheknia wrote:

When I first started to see this being talked about, people only needed to reply to the email confirming that they owned the copyright & the books would go live. That was some time ago though & it seems that for a while now, it's been happening more often & even several times for the same book.

Simply replying to the email seems good, but if it's changed to where authors require registered proof of copyright to show to CreateSpace, then those of us who don't have that are basically screwed if any of our books gets suppressed. If you (general 'you') don't have registered copyright and write under your real name, then I think all you would need is ID, maybe? But if you don't have registered copyright and write under a pen name, then there's really no "proof". I mean, I know I wrote my book. In my opinion, I can prove it through witnesses, my author website posts and time stamps, even my CreateSpace and Author Central account; but that's not showing registered proof, and that worries me.

Level 0 18 posts since
Nov 15, 2011
4. Jun 12, 2018 1:51 PM in response to: Djwillz

I've been suppressed for the second time. The first time I answered their e-mail explaining about my copyright. The second time they didn't even tell me they had suppressed me again, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get it unsuppressed.

I've now been suppressed for five days and counting. I have written to them complaining but have had no response (four days and counting).

This relates to a book they have been happy to sell for more than five years.

It is a  disgrace.

Level 1 86 posts since
Aug 9, 2012
5. Jun 12, 2018 2:00 PM in response to: catlovers

catlovers wrote:

I've now been suppressed for five days and counting. I have written to them complaining but have had no response (four days and counting).

If it's been that long without a reply, I'd definitely suggest calling them, or at the very least, emailing them again. I once had one of my emails ignored. I know it sent, because I got the confirmation. I sent another and called them (because my issue was time-sensitive), and that did the trick.

Level 0 18 posts since
Nov 15, 2011
6. Jun 12, 2018 2:16 PM in response to: Auzora25

Thank you. I won't be calling them because I'm not in the USA. I contacted createspace (general, not the suppression team), they took over 24 hours to respond and simply said they'll pass it to someone else. Presumably the suppression team. I think I've ended up in a Kafka novel...

I can sympathise if they are overworked, but it is pretty clear that if the suppression team is struggling, that's because they are making completely unnecessary work for themselves.

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
7. Jun 12, 2018 2:21 PM in response to: Auzora25

Auzora25 wrote:

Acheknia wrote:

Simply replying to the email seems good, but if it's changed to where authors require registered proof of copyright to show to CreateSpace, then those of us who don't have that are basically screwed if any of our books gets suppressed. If you (general 'you') don't have registered copyright and write under your real name, then I think all you would need is ID, maybe? But if you don't have registered copyright and write under a pen name, then there's really no "proof". I mean, I know I wrote my book. In my opinion, I can prove it through witnesses, my author website posts and time stamps, even my CreateSpace and Author Central account; but that's not showing registered proof, and that worries me.

Yes, it's a tough situation.

With my last book, I asked if everybody was getting suppressed or just new writers, public domain works etc, as I was worried about submitting.

It's all my own work & I don't have a registered copyright but it is in my name, so at least that was probably what saved me.

I wasn't suppressed but I've heard of so many around that time & since.

I just hope it all gets sorted out before my WIP is complete.

I really feel for everyone going through this, it must be so stressful.

Level 0 18 posts since
Nov 15, 2011
8. Jun 12, 2018 2:32 PM in response to: Acheknia

It's very stressful, but it's also costing us money through no fault of our own. One guy even had to cancel his book signing because he couldn't order books to take to the signing.

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
9. Jun 12, 2018 2:35 PM in response to: catlovers

catlovers wrote:

It's very stressful, but it's also costing us money through no fault of our own. One guy even had to cancel his book signing because he couldn't order books to take to the signing.

Yes, I remember reading that.

It's really not good, especially when some people are being unsuppressed, they think the problem is sorted & then go through it again & again.

Level 0 18 posts since
Nov 15, 2011
10. Jun 12, 2018 3:15 PM in response to: Acheknia

Exactly. Once is acceptable, but repeated suppressions are not.

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
11. Jun 12, 2018 3:22 PM in response to: catlovers

catlovers wrote:

Exactly. Once is acceptable, but repeated suppressions are not.

I agree.

Level 0 18 posts since
Nov 15, 2011
12. Jun 14, 2018 1:07 AM in response to: Acheknia

They have told me the second suppression was a "technical error." That was morw than 24 hours ago and it's still in process. It's interesting to me how they can suppress instantly, but unsuppressing takes well over a day.

It's 14 Jun and so far this month my book has been available for all of three days. No mention of compensation for all my lost sales.

It's a disgrace.

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
13. Jun 14, 2018 1:36 AM in response to: catlovers

catlovers wrote:

They have told me the second suppression was a "technical error." That was morw than 24 hours ago and it's still in process. It's interesting to me how they can suppress instantly, but unsuppressing takes well over a day.

It's 14 Jun and so far this month my book has been available for all of three days. No mention of compensation for all my lost sales.

It's a disgrace.

It's not only so wrong, it must be very stressful as well.

I do hope it gets sorted for you soon.

Level 2 510 posts since
Feb 1, 2016
14. Jun 14, 2018 1:52 AM in response to: Acheknia

I had the same issue a week ago.  My book was suppressed, for the same reason any of my new titles seem to be - they're part of a series so there is some repetition in the text (I write music instructional guides for fretted and keyboard instruments).  Obviously, some scanning bot picks this up every time and up go the red flags - very annoying.  Anyhow, this happened twice with me.  They cleared the book after a week of zero contact and then half a day later, suppressed it again.  I had to go through the whole explantation rigmarole again and after another week it was active again.  But I lost two weeks of sales through this and no apology, just a form email.  There's no doubt the suppression has been a lot worse over the past six months or so.

Tobe

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...