Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
479 Views 6 Replies Last post: Jun 30, 2018 1:16 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 16, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2018 4:02 AM

Marketing without Social Media

13 June 2018

I've written several books, including 2 series 'The Jonas Forbes Saga' (16 books) & 'The Wanderer' (9 books). The first named is in both digital & paperback formats. Basically, I wrote them for pleasure - but would like to share & possible earn some royalties.

The problem is I dislike / fear? Social Media. So I'm not ot Facebook & its fellows NOR on Twitter etc. I use emails a lot & 's it. So how can I publicise my work without Social Media. A simple question but I don't expect answers to be easy.

Bob Hyslop

Level 4 2,973 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Jun 13, 2018 11:50 AM in response to: BobH2
Re: Marketing without Social Media

I consider social media (note the lower case) a huge waste of time, which is better spent writing more books. I am of the opinion that, unless one has at minimum a half-dozen books to offer, marketing is almost always useless.

Level 5 15,819 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Jun 13, 2018 4:43 PM in response to: BobH2

Without social media, you have to rely on traditional forms of book promotion. But with review space shrinking, and demand for media attention exploding because there are more books out there, it's harder than ever to get any exposure for your book. What do you plan to do instead?

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Level 0 7 posts since
May 13, 2018
3. Jun 14, 2018 3:03 AM in response to: BobH2

I tend to not rely on one form of distribution anyways (never put all of your eggs in one basket), Always use multiple strategies to promote our product or services.

• Before  we even had a facebook account,Twitter account, we started blogging. We wanted to become a  thought leader in our industry, so we wrote posts that would provide value to  potential customers rather than posts publicizing our product. The visitors  slowly started coming through Google searches and would stick around to read  the articles.
  • You can also use an email marketing system like MailChimp then go out and shake hands and kiss babies like a good old political campaign.
  • Do research to determine some places where your target demographic spends their free time. Get some stunning flyers or posters designed and post them in those areas.
  • Create a referral program for your best clients or customers. Offer incentives to get them to continue to spread your brand to all their friends, co-workers, and family members.
  • Reach out to family members or friends you haven’t connected with in a long time. Let them know what your business does and that you’re on the look out for new opportunities and customers. You never know if that random Aunt or Uncle you haven’t spoken to in years knows someone who needs your help.

Hope this helps!

-keerthi

Book publisher

https://www.ebooks2go.net/

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 14, 2018
4. Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM in response to: BobH2

I think that is important, I have been on the travel blog for 4 years and social networks have driven it.

Creo que son interesantes, sobre todo en este post sobre comer en Coruña o el de comer en Santander, el cual se viralizó.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 30, 2018
5. Jun 30, 2018 9:01 AM in response to: BobH2

There are three components of an app's 'definition': its Name, its Description in the ... It's enough to point out just a few core features and one killer feature.    Geekless tech

Level 5 13,127 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
6. Jun 30, 2018 1:16 PM in response to: BobH2

A person who reads and enjoys one book by an author is up to twelve times more likely (than a person who hasn't read any of that author's books) to purchase more books by that same author. So with a 9-book and 16-book series, you can afford to deeply discount the first book (or even give it away) as a tool to hook readers. That's one strategy to consider.

Whether you like and use social media is not nearly as relevant or important as whether your target readers like and use social media. If they do, then that's the medium they are relying on to "talk" about the book, and even if you don't actively participate in those discussions, you may at least need to have some kind of simple social medium platform (like a Facebook page) with basic info.

In the "old days" [before Amazon], we might stick a half-dozen sell sheets or bookmarks in each book we sold, so readers would have something to give friends or family that told them about the book, included details on where/how to buy it, and offered things like discounts or specials. Otherwise, many of the individuals they told would just forget about it and never order (even if they really meant to when they were first told).

The current day replacement for a lot of those old printed marketing pieces is the use of hyperlinks in various forms (URLs, QR codes, widgets, etc.) that can be associated with an author website or social media platform, and then easily shared by people who are active and comfortable with social media use. Again, this doesn't require active involvement on the author's part if he/she is not so inclined, but the existence of such a platform can help sales.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...