Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
403 Views 8 Replies Last post: Jul 3, 2018 11:35 AM by Acheknia RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2018 8:17 PM

Expanded Distribution or Standard?

I'm about to list my first book with CS, and am wondering if I should do the expanded distribution or not.  The list price seems to leap almost $10 USD, from $14.02 to $21 and change.  The book is 630 pages, roughly 1/4 of a million words, and the first of a series of 12 books, so as far as work that went into the story, I don't doubt its worth.  Also, I released the book as an e-book 3 years ago and it has gotten 1 4* and all the rest 5* reviews, none of them from shills.  That being said, I'm wondering if the list price will prevent me from selling many copies?

Level 5 15,815 posts since
May 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
1. Jun 20, 2018 10:07 PM in response to: N08LE
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

N08LE wrote:

 

I'm wondering if the list price will prevent me from selling many copies?

 

That depends on your marketing efforts and the quality of your writing and presentation.

 

The list price seems to leap almost $10 USD, from $14.02 to $21 and change.  The book is 630 pages...

 

I sell books (novels) half that size for up to $24.95 on Amazon AU and around $19.95 on Amazon US. The cost of print on demand is what it is -- however, you can get the equivalent of expanded distribution with a much lower wholesale discount (and can therefore reduce the list price) with IngramSpark. They only require 30-35% discount whereas CS takes 60%.

 

 

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 17, 2018
Currently Being Moderated
3. Jul 3, 2018 1:19 AM in response to: lipmag
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

On that note, I have a question which is related -

 

Can I upload a book (with my own ISBN), choose Expanded Distribution at first, and then, when I feel I am ready to try and "take on" physical stores and marketing to them, can I "shift" or cancel this option in order to do this via ingram spark? I see the royalties/price of the book is an issue. But at the same time, I don't see myself putting in an effort with phisical stores until I push onlike first, and while I do that, hey, if I can get amazon to distribute me to Barnes and Nobles on line, why not?

 

Does this make sense? sorry, I am new here

 

Thanks!

 

Jonnie

Level 2 405 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
Currently Being Moderated
4. Jul 3, 2018 3:04 AM in response to: jonnie663
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

jonnie663 wrote:

 

On that note, I have a question which is related -

 

Can I upload a book (with my own ISBN), choose Expanded Distribution at first, and then, when I feel I am ready to try and "take on" physical stores and marketing to them, can I "shift" or cancel this option in order to do this via ingram spark? I see the royalties/price of the book is an issue. But at the same time, I don't see myself putting in an effort with phisical stores until I push onlike first, and while I do that, hey, if I can get amazon to distribute me to Barnes and Nobles on line, why not?

 

Does this make sense? sorry, I am new here

 

Thanks!

 

Jonnie

 

Yes, you can opt out of ED whenever you like by unticking that instruction.

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 17, 2018
Currently Being Moderated
5. Jul 3, 2018 4:20 AM in response to: Acheknia
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply!

Level 2 405 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
Currently Being Moderated
6. Jul 3, 2018 6:27 AM in response to: jonnie663
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

jonnie663 wrote:

 

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply!

Level 0 2 posts since
Jul 3, 2018
Currently Being Moderated
7. Jul 3, 2018 10:53 AM in response to: N08LE
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

I'm still considering publishing my first book, and the info I am finding here is quite helpful. Gotta lean more though

Level 2 405 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
Currently Being Moderated
8. Jul 3, 2018 11:35 AM in response to: markalum
Re: Expanded Distribution or Standard?

markalum wrote:

 

I'm still considering publishing my first book, and the info I am finding here is quite helpful. Gotta lean more though

Kboards Writer's Cafe is a wonderful place for every scrap of help or info you could ever need & all there without the pink meaty stuff that you have to wade through here to see any genuine posts.

 

Before Lorem_Ipsum says it... you don't need to lean but you can if if you want.

We're a pretty upright bunch here

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...