Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
4,173 Views 11 Replies Last post: Feb 7, 2009 3:02 PM by BrennaLyons RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2009 8:02 AM

Question about title page for manuscript

In the entry requirements it says that it must

(g) not include the author's name in the body of the Manuscript, in the Excerpt, or in the Pitch;

Does this mean that the manuscript should not have a standard title page?  Your name should appear nowhere on the pages that you upload as a manuscript?  I already took my name off the individual pages where it was listed in the header with the page numbers, but do I also need to cut out the cover page?

Thanks very much!

Level 2 303 posts since
Dec 20, 2008
1. Feb 6, 2009 8:48 AM in response to: BrooklynB
Re: Question about title page for manuscript
BrooklynB wrote:

Does this mean that the manuscript should not have a standard title page?  Your name should appear nowhere on the pages that you upload as a manuscript?  I already took my name off the individual pages where it was listed in the header with the page numbers, but do I also need to cut out the cover page?

Okay, right or wrong, I've always been told it's good form to have a TITLE page, even on a blind submission to a contest. Now, you can't have your NAME anywhere on the ms. Take it out of the header. Take it off the title page. But, I leave the title in place. That's what I did, both on the excerpt and in the ms file.

Brenna

Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 3, 2009
2. Feb 6, 2009 12:47 PM in response to: BrooklynB

They said the author's name should not appear in the body of the ms which I took to mean the actual story.  Am I wrong?  The formatting rules seem a little vague.

Level 0 12 posts since
Jan 9, 2009
3. Feb 6, 2009 12:51 PM in response to: R.Smolen

I originally included a cover page with the title of the book and my name. The next day, in horror, I realized my mistake. Thank goodness I was able to get back in and edit my entry. It appears to me that the judges will be using the CreateSpace console to review entries, so your manuscript need not include a title page.

Level 0 14 posts since
Jan 24, 2009
4. Feb 6, 2009 2:57 PM in response to: BrooklynB

That caught my attention as well, but after reading it about 20 times, I figured they don't want your name as a part of the story, the "body" of the manuscript.

So, I had to remove mine!  It was only my last name, but I changed that part anyhow.

Your title pages should remain, in my opinion.

Level 2 303 posts since
Dec 20, 2008
5. Feb 6, 2009 3:32 PM in response to: R.Smolen
R.Smolen wrote:

They said the author's name should not appear in the body of the ms which I took to mean the actual story.  Am I wrong?  The formatting rules seem a little vague.

Actually, you can find some information here and some there. It says not to leave your name in the header...ONLY the title and page number in header/footer. It's blind judging, that means your name NOWHERE in the text of the ms, even on the title page. However, since the title can be in the header, that would indicate the title can be on a "title page."

Brenna

Level 2 90 posts since
Jan 29, 2009
6. Feb 6, 2009 4:02 PM in response to: BrennaLyons

If you use MS Word you may want to edit the "Properties" under "File."

Level 0 12 posts since
Jan 9, 2009
7. Feb 6, 2009 7:48 PM in response to: pollux

I did not include a header at all. The only thing I included were page numbers, centered, in the footer. I assumed that if the judges print it out, which they may or may not do (I for one hate online reading) there should be page numbers in the event they should drop it.

As for your name in the manuscript or the body of the manuscript, I look at it this way: Do you want to give them any reason at all to disqualify you for not following the rules? I removed my title page, which included my name. I did not want to take any chances.

Level 1 26 posts since
Jan 31, 2009
8. Feb 6, 2009 7:59 PM in response to: michaelgd

I agree with you, michaelgd. I didn't want to give the judges any reason to disqualify me for not following the rules, so I omitted the title page. Even though I know it is usually good form to include one... As to the header: I included my manuscript name, and also the page number. Having reviewed quite a few manuscripts myself for other authors, I have sometimes had several printed off in once in a folder, and then a great gust of spring breeze comes blasting through the open window in my office and - OOPS! - there go all those lovely manuscripts onto the floor together. So that was my reasoning behind the title and page number neatly together at the top of the page.

bb

Level 1 45 posts since
Jul 11, 2008
9. Feb 7, 2009 5:46 AM in response to: BrooklynB

No one here can be blamed for misconstruing the rules regarding author's name placement in the manuscript.  They are very vague.  Let's hit this thing in the back end for clarification.  What they don't want is for anyone to have an edge over others by virtue of being JOHN UPDIKE or someone of his stature.  Can you imagine perusing the thousands of manuscripts and coming across the name, Mark Twain (were he only still alive...where are you Sam when we need you?) in the header, or on the title page?  The rest of us wouldn't stand a chance.

So, there you have it.  Your name should not appear in the header, or on the title page.  That is not to say you shouldn't have either.  You should have both since a professional manuscript requires them.  Simply eliminate your name from the document.  Leave everything else as it should be, and you will be very, very cool.

Level 2 90 posts since
Jan 29, 2009
10. Feb 7, 2009 9:05 AM in response to: BrooklynB

Just to make myself clear: Microsoft Word automatically enters an author's name under "author." You can only see it you click on "File" and then "properties." I don't expect the reviewers will do that (they've probably got enough to do), but if you're nervous you should check it out. "Author" is usually the registered user of the computer or software, so if you're using someone else machine it will not show your name.

Level 2 303 posts since
Dec 20, 2008
11. Feb 7, 2009 3:02 PM in response to: pollux

I know what you're talking about Pollux. I highly doubt they are going to disqualify anyone for that, but if it makes you feel better, by all means, do so. Mine doesn't show my pen name, to my knowledge. Hmm... I should check that, but I'm fairly sure I set it for a different name, when I set up the properties.

Brenna

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...