Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
269 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jul 18, 2018 12:55 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Jul 18, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 18, 2018 11:34 AM

Can I use expanded distribution on my website?

I will have an e-commerce portion of my new website, and I want to know if I can sell books directly through the site. I currently have a book published on Createspace through Amazon, but I want to know if the customers could buy the book directly from me. I understand the royalties are not the same, but there are other reasons it would make more sense for them to buy directly. If so, how do I set this up on my site? And how are the books shipped?

Level 5 13,122 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Jul 18, 2018 11:57 AM in response to: SarahJean
Re: Can I use expanded distribution on my website?

Yes, you can sell the book through your website, and customers can buy the book directly from you. You would fulfill those orders by either (a) shipping the books from a stock (purchased at your author cost) that you keep on hand for this purpose, or (b) dropshipping the books to customers via your CreateSpace account. There are advantages/disadvantages to each.

Expanded distribution doesn't really play a role in this.

Level 5 13,122 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jul 18, 2018 12:55 PM in response to: SarahJean
Re: Can I use expanded distribution on my website?

Are you saying that you printed the book through KDP Print rather than CreateSpace? If so, then you'd just do the same thing through your account there -- either (a) order books at author cost for shipping to you and use that stock of books to fulfill customer orders made on your website, or (b) each time you sell a book via your website, purchase the book at author cost and shipped directly to that buyer rather than to you (i.e., dropshipping).

If you intend to be the seller, then there is no "link" to place on your website. You would set up your site to handle the e-commerce transaction and then fulfill the order as noted previously.

If you don't really intend to be the actual seller, and are just looking to place a link on your website so your website visitors can click that link, go to Amazon, and then buy the book from them, that's a different question (but still not EDC-related). For that, I would use the Amazon Associates program to generate a widget (which you would then place on your website).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...