This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
11,987 Views 12 Replies Last post: Sep 4, 2013 1:20 PM by MissB RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
Mar 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2013 12:50 PM

Quality of Full Color Photo Book Paper

I am thinking of use CS to set up a book of photos and can't find any information about the quality of the paper & photo reproduction. Has anyone done a full color print book?

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
1. Apr 28, 2013 12:55 PM in response to: stringermj
Re: Quality of Full Color Photo Book Paper

Hi Stringermj… yes, several.  Color is excellent (provided you keep your colors in gamut).  Paper is NOT glossy, however.  That is a no-go for many who want the shiny, pretty look of many art books.

Paper is 60# white paper only for full color books.  https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/

Hope that helps,

Dee aka DenverSky5280

EXPRESS YOURSELF (for ages 3-9.   Big Bonus:  Over 100 HIDDEN Animals!)

EXPRESS YOURSELF Coloring Book & Story (for children ages 3 to 9)

Level 5 15,126 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Apr 28, 2013 4:02 PM in response to: stringermj

Over the weekend I read a post by Aaron Shepard indicating that Lightning Source was about to bring out a new "Extra Premium" (my term) paper for just such a purpose. Pretty exciting!!!

http://www.newselfpublishing.com/blog/#PremiumColor

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Jan 25, 2010
4. Apr 28, 2013 4:20 PM in response to: stringermj

Hi Stringermj… my books are illustrated, not photographic.  I don’t know if they will give you the kind of test material you’re hoping to see.

My Express Yourself book is full color and on Amazon.  Ditto w/my newest one, The Gnomes Find a Gnitch.  Either make great gifts for kids 5-9, so if you decide to check out CS’s color printing, you’ll also have a fun summer gift for a child.

If you like CS’s quality, I’d encourage you to do a TEST book w/CS using a Free ISBN from CS and using your own material.  Full color runs $3.65 for a book between 24 and 40 pages.  After 40 full color pages, the cost starts going up.  Also, CS charges us by the page, not by the size of the page.  So I’d use the biggest size CS has for your test book.

I do my hardcover books for children at LightningSource, and Michelle’s link was very interesting.  Right now (as the info in the link points out), it’s near impossible to be price competitive w/premium color at LS.  I did try the LS standard color ‘cause the rep said it was good.  Not.  The LS standard color isn’t worth considering for most books… paper too thin, colors too washy. 

Even if you decide to eventually do your book at LS, I'd do it here first.  Why?  Glad you asked.  At LS, EACH change to cover or interior costs $40.  That can add up fast even if you know what you're doing.  Getting all the formatting kinks worked out here can save you big $$$.

Hope that helps,

Dee aka DenverSky5280

THE  GNOMES  FIND  A  GNITCH  (for kids of all ages & adults who like GNOMES)

Level 5 18,261 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Apr 28, 2013 4:33 PM in response to: stringermj

With the usual whereas's, however's, so forths and so ons . . .

CS prints on a coated stock: this is not to be confused with enameled, cast, blade . . . coated stock.  It is clearly not just "white offset" only "brighter" it has some kind of surface treatment.  Coated paper means, "A wide variety of papers that have undergone coating to impart increased degrees of gloss, ink holdout, brightness, and smoothness." <http://printwiki.org/Coated_Paper>  It is not a great paper by any means, but it is much more than just "white offset."

Here are identical middle dots from the same file:

I have never been disappointed with CS's color printing going back to 2002 (when CS was BS).  CS prints perceptually dead-on from sRGB files.  Lots of caveats here: so if you have questions, post them, I'll repost the explanations, exceptions, and examples.

Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification . . . which is to say I'm alone out here, saw in hand, on the end of a bare tree limb.

Walton

Level 5 15,126 posts since
May 4, 2008
6. Apr 28, 2013 4:39 PM in response to: stringermj

BTW, I have used CS's colour printing for almost a dozen issues of a magazine (some are available at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lipmag -- check out the Look Inside previews), containing different media types and design elements, eg. vector illustration, photography, gradients, comics.

HDR photos look pretty good, fashion photography looks blah (flat, no detail in shadow areas). Vector images look great! Pastels come up really well, but vibrant block colour can be surprisingly tricky, as will gradients, due to occasional "banding".

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 1 130 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
7. Apr 28, 2013 8:58 PM in response to: stringermj

colour print quality is merely acceptable for matte finish with no glossy finish available.

when they do screw up (dirty rollers, colours very off, wet pages impressing on previous page) it is very very bad, and you have to send them back. for me this occurs approximately 50% of the time. Either the run is acceptable, or crap.

if you want to see lots of colour in a book

http://machinesandmagic.com/blog/?p=125

Level 4 2,359 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
8. Apr 28, 2013 9:54 PM in response to: talentnextdoor

Sorry, but your web site is wrong: CreateSpace is not the publisher, you are. You may actually get in legal trouble (it is not likely, but certainly possible) for claiming CS is the publisher.

Jan 25, 2010
9. Apr 28, 2013 10:57 PM in response to: talentnextdoor

Hi TalentNextDoor… your website publisher info might not be right (I used to think CS was the publisher, too), but your book is BEAUTIFUL!  Terrific job w/the formatting and imagery!  Terrific concept!

Dee aka DenverSky5280

THE  GNOMES  FIND  A  GNITCH  (for kids of all ages & adults who like GNOMES)

Level 5 18,261 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Apr 29, 2013 6:44 PM in response to: stringermj

Let us know how your test book looks!

As for docx . . . if you are going to upload a Word file, doc (Save as Word 97-2003 document) is preferable to docx.  Ideally, for the best results, create your own PDF, and upload that.

As you probably know, Word wants to downsize (Word erroniously calls it "compression") images.  You can disable that.  However, if you drag and drop or resize your image, its resolution will change--generally for the worse. Insert your images at the exact size you require.

Walton

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 16, 2012
12. Sep 4, 2013 1:20 PM in response to: talentnextdoor

Hey,

I wanted to know if you ever found out the name of the Rochester printer. I have been looking high and low to no avail.

Please HELP if possible.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...