Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
140 Views 1 Reply Last post: Aug 6, 2018 2:44 AM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Jul 4, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2018 1:23 AM

Why is my minimum price so high?

Hi, I'm about to publish my first novel, but am struck by how high the minimum price for my book is.

It's 8"x5", matt cover, 482 pages that are black and white on cream paper. There are no images in the book, just text.

The mimum price is coming up as $11.05 or £9.20 (I'm from the UK). This seems very high, not to mention the 20% tax that will be added on top of this. Even if I don't want to make any money from it I'm going to have to charge people over £11 to buy my book. If I want to make any money from the royalties then I'd need to charge around £12. The book is aimed at young teens, like the Harry Potter books, and I'm very worried that people won't pay that much for it.

Why are the print costs so high? Is it my number of pages? When I look at other books on my bookshelf at home most are similar or longer in length.

Level 5 15,813 posts since
May 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
1. Aug 6, 2018 2:44 AM in response to: JamesWright83
Re: Why is my minimum price so high?

Print pricing is based on page count, so if you want to reduce the price you might like to consider a larger trim size to reduce the page count, editing the book down to a lower word count, or reducing the font size.

Another thing you might want to consider is removing the book from Expanded Distribution -- this requires a much higher minimum price because CS takes 60% of the list price for this sales channel. A lot of authors dual-publish at IngramSpark to get worldwide distribution because you can set the wholesale discount as low as 30%, which means you can set a lower list price.

JamesWright83 wrote:

Why are the print costs so high? Is it my number of pages? When I look at other books on my bookshelf at home most are similar or longer in length.

Print on demand is more expensive than traditional publishing, where books are printed in runs of several thousand to get the print cost down to less than a dollar a copy. You'll never be able to compete with that using POD, so it's accepted that self-published books are going to cost more than books from trad publishers.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...