Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
121 Views 3 Replies Last post: Aug 8, 2018 4:22 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Jul 13, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2018 4:36 AM

out of line margins

I have a question. Why does my right margin look nice and even, until I download it. When I proof my book, some of the margins are not straight anymore. Anyone have an answer?

Level 4 2,972 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Aug 8, 2018 9:58 AM in response to: write
Re: out of line margins

I have an answer. You didn't reveal what software you're using, but I'm guessing it's Word. Using Word's paragraph styles would minimize this type of problem. At any rate, there's a inconsistency lurking somewhere in the source file. After you find and fix the problem, don't upload the Word file. Instead, generate a PDF, check it, and upload it.

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Aug 8, 2018 11:09 AM in response to: write

Let me add to Lorem_Ipsum's answer.  You should upload only PDFs.  Creating PDFs is the best way to work with Word because Word does not show pages in reader's spreads (odd numbered pages on the right, even numbered pages on the left), that is as books actually are. Examine the PDF very very carefully.  LIne by line, page by page.  I always catch things that I missed in the source file (Word, InDesign, etc.).  Open the PDF in Reader.  Set it to: View > Page Display > Two Page View and also select Show Cover in Two Page View.  Check File > Properties > Fonts and make sure that all of your fonts are embedded, subsetting is okay.

When you proof your book . . . do you mean odering a printed proof?  You should not rely on the DigitalProofer, the PDF Proof, or the InteriorReviewer.  There should be no surprises when you get the printed proof.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 15,813 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Aug 8, 2018 4:22 PM in response to: write

write wrote:

some of the margins are not straight anymore

Do you mean the text on the right side becomes ragged (not justified)? That might be a problem with the Word doc, the template, the style settings...

The best thing to do is convert your file to PDF, check it carefully, and upload that to CS instead of a Word doc.

~ Michelle ~

Editor, Designer and Publishing Services

http://www.odysseypublishing.com.au

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...