Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
309 Views 7 Replies Last post: Aug 12, 2018 8:58 AM by OmarCI RSS
Level 0 39 posts since
Jan 31, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2018 8:58 AM

Cover Design Creation

Hi everybody!

Such a long time I don't interrupt your breakfast with my questions!

I would like to ask you some technical advice over design and expecially Gimp:

I am building a cover with few layers and I would like to know if I am doing something wrong with scale tool:
I opened an image as new layer to add it to my file with other layers and than I fitted it with scale tool, BUT  I used the scale tool from the fast "toolbox" and adjusted the size with my mouse (making it smaller) istead of using the Scale Image from the main bar.

Sorry for the confusion if I'm not very clear....anyway the question is:

Should I resize images and only after add them as new layer to my art work or I can just do as I did using the fast scale image from tool box and adjusting them with mouse? Do I loose any quality (scaling down and not bigger)? Any difference?

Ah! I used linear interpolation scale image, but again, I scaled down

Thanks a lot!

Level 3 865 posts since
Sep 15, 2014
1. Aug 11, 2018 9:25 AM in response to: OmarCI
Re: Cover Design Creation

You need to find a GIMP forum or watch the YouTube tutorials. When I created multi-layer images for my covers (some more than 20 layers deep) I sized them to match before assembly.

Level 3 865 posts since
Sep 15, 2014
3. Aug 11, 2018 10:01 AM in response to: OmarCI

You can watch my video covering the basics of cover creation using the CS guidelines although it doesn't cover GIMP specifically. It's posted as Cover Creation Video.

Level 5 12,994 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Aug 11, 2018 11:50 AM in response to: OmarCI

If I'm understanding your question, you have a raster image (not a vector object) that you are inserting into a new layer of your design, and then you are using GIMP's tools to rescale that image to the exact size needed relative to rest of the design. Is that correct?

If so, then GIMP is having to interpolate or extrapolate on the fly -- essentially inventing new pixels that didn't exist in the original source image you inserted. There's always going to be a loss of quality with that.

Will it matter? There's no way to say how significant it might be (depends on the nature of the image, number of colors, how different the new size is, etc.). You just have to do it and see if it is acceptable.

If it isn't (i.e., if the loss in quality is apparent), then you simply measure the final size of the object in question, open the source image in GIMP or another graphic design program (IrfanView is good for this), and use a slower, higher-quality algorithm to resize and resample that image as needed, save it (with a new name, so you preserve the original just in case), and then import that saved image (already correctly sized) into your cover design replacing the previous image.

If it's a vector object that you're inserting into a new layer, then you can use GIMP's tools to rescale that on the fly with no impact on quality.

Level 3 865 posts since
Sep 15, 2014
6. Aug 12, 2018 6:55 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

You know a lot more about graphics than I do, that's for sure.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...