Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
121 Views 0 Replies Last post: Aug 15, 2018 7:46 AM by sinta.rani RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 13, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 15, 2018 7:46 AM

do I need permission to put a real people name and story on my non-fiction book?

Hi guys,

i really need help to get more info about this issue. im in the last chapter of making my own book about self-improvement.

and in this last chapter i put some of real people story based on my research through wikipedia and some more.

im not US citizenship, so in general i have no idea about US law and things apart from copyright of songs, pic etc.

do i need permission to put their names and some short story of their life which is already hanging on wikipedia with fully access for people ?

and if i do, how to reach those people (i hope some of you guys been facing it) as how hard to get any reply from them even for "work" email.

based on my small research too, it is okey for people who died 100 years ago. but for people who real live, i found a blur area about it.

here i gave some example how i wrote it down.

John Robinson Lim Gokongwei, Jr. (born Go Ek-hui on August 11, 1926) is a Filipino business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. He has holdings in telecommunications, financial services, petrochemicals, power generation, aviation and livestock farming. As of 2015, he is the second richest entrepreneur in the Philippines, with a net worth of over $5 billion. He was born in China to a Filipino-Chinese father. The family fortune was lost when his affluent father died. He was 13 years old at this time. He initially supported his family by peddling items along the streets of Cebu from his bicycle. From the age of 17 to 19, he traded using a wooden boat, taking items by sea, and then to Manila by truck. In 1957, with a loan of 500 thousand pesos he started a corn milling plant producing glucose and corn starch. In 1961, his company started to launch brands. later, he become the chairman for one of the largest conglomerates in the Philippines. In 2010, his company signed a $3billion order with Airbus for refreshing of his airline, Cebu Pacific air. His telecom company is the 3rd largest mobile operator in the Philippines at that time before selling to the PLDT group for $1.7 billion. The Gokongwei Family controls over $20 billion of combined market capitalization for all the companies they own. In February 2008, he listed as the first Heroes of Philanthropy list included 4 Filipinos in Forbes Asia magazine?s from 13 selected countries and territories in Asia.

and some like

Joan Crawford born Lucille Fay LeSueur (March 23, c. 1904 ? May 10, 1977) was an American film and television actress who began her career as a dancer and stage showgirl. The youngest and third child of a laundry laborer. Her father abandoned the family a few months before her birth, re-appearing later in 1930, reportedly working as a construction laborer. She lived with her mother, stepfather, and siblings. There, Cassin, a minor impresario, ran the Ramsey Opera House where she thought he was her biological father until her brother told her the truth. Cassin, whom she called ?daddy" allegedly began sexually abusing her when she was eleven years old; the abuse continued until she went away to St. Agnes Academy. Her family's instability negatively affected Crawford and her schooling never formally progressed beyond primary education. When her mother and stepfather separated, she remained at St. Agnes as a work student. She later attended Rockingham Academy, also as a working student. Under the name Lucille LeSueur, she began dancing in the choruses of traveling revues and was spotted dancing in Detroit by producer and put her in the chorus line in1924 show. She embarked on a campaign of self-promotion. Within a few years, she became the romantic female lead to many of MGM's top male stars.In 1937, Crawford was proclaimed the first "Queen of the Movies" by Life magazine. She, who was partly raised in a laundry and sexual abused but ended up become the most famous actress in her era.

the thing, i wrote about some famous people like Stephen Hawkins, Coco Channel, JK.Rowling, Colonel Sander, and some of founder of big company today. i put it as the inspiration point of view for my reader. i put it all as one package of their positive side.

Thank you so much for anyone who will give all the feedback about it

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...