Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
19,021 Views 9 Replies Last post: Nov 19, 2013 1:45 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 20 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 7, 2013 6:02 AM

Getting my books into bookstores

Hi All,

I am wanting to get my books into local bookstores. I signed up for expanded distribution. What do I say to bookstores about how they can order it? Does it appear in Books In Print? Do they order through Ingram or similar distributor? I want to make it easy and clear!

Also, how do I verify for myself that my "expanded distribution" books really are on Ingram list, books in print etc?

Also, should I put the PRICE of the paperback somewhere on the cover? Or does that happen automatically or what?

Lastly, what is an appropriate price for a paperback with no pictures around 150 pages? How about 300 pages? I want to price competitively but not look too desperate!

Any tips of getting my books into bookstores would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Level 5 3,078 posts since
Jul 28, 2008
1. Jul 7, 2013 6:56 AM in response to: JohannaKate
Re: Getting my books into bookstores
I am wanting to get my books into local bookstores. I signed up for expanded distribution. What do I say to bookstores about how they can order it? Does it appear in Books In Print? Do they order through Ingram or similar distributor? I want to make it easy and clear!

They can order it through Ingram, but non-returnability and limited discount might deter them. They can order it through CreateSpace Direct, but this may not be more attractive. They can order from your CS eStore, but then they must set up an account. It may be mutually beneficial for you to order author copies and sell them in person. Since you receive a low price on author copies, you may be able to offer a hefty discount and still earn a fair royalty. The stores may prefer consignment, although it may be better for you if you can aavoid this. Prepare a press release package, collect sales stats and any independent reviews, and store copies carefully in your trunk if the last option interests you. Also explore other kinds of stores in your area that also sell some books.

Also, how do I verify for myself that my "expanded distribution" books really are on Ingram list, books in print etc?

See these threads: https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/134040#134040

https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/191852#191852

Also, should I put the PRICE of the paperback somewhere on the cover? Or does that happen automatically or what?

It doesn't happen automatically. If you want this, you have to put it there when you submit your cover file. Most bookstores that will be willing to stock your book probably don't require the price to be on the cover; B&N does, and it's not easy to get your book there. What happens if you put a price on the cover, but the bookstore wants to charge more? This could be a problem.

Lastly, what is an appropriate price for a paperback with no pictures around 150 pages? How about 300 pages? I want to price competitively but not look too desperate!

Research similar books. Think trade paperback, not mass market paperback. See what similar books are selling for, and this will help you price competitively.

Good luck with your book.

Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 11, 2012
2. Oct 15, 2013 2:34 AM in response to: JohannaKate

One of the benefits about expanded distribution is that it does get your book onto Barnes&Noble.com, which means that readers can have their local B&N store order the book for them and save them the shipping cost. However, one of the negatives about it is that Amazon and Barnes & Noble are not on the same page as they use to be. They are now full fledged opponents, which is why CreateSpace had to go through Ingram to keep some sort of relationship with Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

However, while you can get onto the website, you most likely can't get your book physically into the stores themselves. Your local Barnes & Noble might be able to help you out. I know there are couple who do support local others in their area and if the book sells well locally, then they'll pitch it to the company itself. However, selling local books does require company permission regarless, so that can take a while too.

Another way to get your book into stores is to try only local bookstore in your area. While local book stores don't sound as appealing as getting it into B&N, it's still a nice way to get people to see your book. Also, if you have a Hastings in your area, which is another National Bookstore and is arguably the main competitor to Barnes & Noble, they're always in support of local authors and will help you out. Local Stores and big National Companies like Hastings are a huge benefit, especially if your book sells well locally, because if it really sells well locally, they can help you get national exposure.

But this is all up to. One of the negatives about self-publishing when compared to traditional publishing is that you are in charge of all of the advertising and promoting your book, whereas big publishers help you out in that department. So my recommendation is to make as many phone calls as you can and see who will carry your book.

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
3. Nov 19, 2013 5:27 AM in response to: GaetanoBrown

I have B&N and Books a Million now wanting to carry my books IF they can order it wholesale, but it seems that CS will not do that. Any suggestions? I have marketed hard and now they are wanting to hold a book signing as well as have the book in house. So very frustrating, making me think I made a mistake in using CS for the book Down The Hallway. Help would be appreciated as of last night the reply from CS was to order in a now special bulk order of 1,000-2,000 for a discount!

Level 5 5,665 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
4. Nov 19, 2013 7:08 AM in response to: showash

B&N should be ordering from Ingram, which IS wholesale. If your book is enrolled in EDC, it's in the Ingram catalogue, where B&N and any other retailer can find it, as they do with any other book they wish to carry.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English–French series
Shakespeare's Sonnets
Candide
Fables of Jean de La Fontaine
Selected Works of Edgar Allan Poe
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
5. Nov 19, 2013 7:12 AM in response to: Seisa

Dear Seisa, Thank you so much, I will let them know that! You have just moved a large mountain from my brain as I thought I was stuck here with no way to get books into the stores. Best to you!

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
6. Nov 19, 2013 8:09 AM in response to: Seisa

Seisa, can you send me information to give to the bookstores on Ingram aka. phone number website information? thank you DrS

Level 5 5,665 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
7. Nov 19, 2013 8:16 AM in response to: showash

showash wrote:

Seisa, can you send me information to give to the bookstores on Ingram aka. phone number website information? thank you DrS

Nope; I'm not a retailer so I don't have an Ingram account. Any bookstore that uses Ingram will already have an Ingram sales rep and all the contact information. All they'd need from you is the book's ISBN so they could look it up in the catalogue and place an order through their rep.

But here's the retailer portal to their website anyway: http://www.ingramcontent.com/Pages/Retailers.aspx.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English–French series
Shakespeare's Sonnets
Candide
Fables of Jean de La Fontaine
Selected Works of Edgar Allan Poe
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Level 5 3,441 posts since
Sep 17, 2008
8. Nov 19, 2013 8:38 AM in response to: showash

Bookstores/retailers should know how to order your books. Most if not all have their own retailer accounts with Ingram and can login directly to their accounts online at any time. They should have all the info they need, just tell them the ISBN and they can order as many copies as they want directly from Ingram. There really is nothing you need to do. If your book is indeed in the Ingram Catalog, they can order the books. Are you certain they want that many books? Is there a demand for it? You certainly don't want a bookstore to order that many copies then have to return them if they cannot sell the books.

-- Eric

Eric V. Van Der Hope is a #1 International Bestselling Author (Mastering Niche Marketing), Publishing & Book Marketing Strategist, Copywriter & Speaker, with an extensive list of writing and editing credits to his name. He & his family live near Santa Monica, California. Eric dedicates his time to helping people publish & market their books effectively. To learn more about Eric and what he does, you may connect with him via his personal Facebook Profile, his Facebook Fanpage: BookLaunchMarketing, his Twitter Profile: @ericvanderhope, and/or his LinkedIn Profile. You can also follow and read his posts from his Official Website.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
9. Nov 19, 2013 1:45 PM in response to: showash

If your book is enrolled in EDC, you'll probably find that B&N and BAM have already listed your books on their online stores, so this will confirm to the brick & mortar stores that they should already be able to obtain your books from Ingram and there is nothing special they have to do -- just use their existing account.

Small independent bookstores may not have Ingram accounts, and if you want to deal with them you might have to make other arrangements, but it should be no problem for the big chains.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...