This discussion is archived
18,706 Views 16 Replies Last post: Aug 16, 2014 6:34 AM by Hetman RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Translating a book from English to Spanish

I need to translate my word doc into Spanish.  I can do it using Google's translate tool but it only saves it as a webpage.  Any suggestions?

Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 28, 2013
1. Sep 10, 2013 10:58 AM in response to: johnbchiro
Re: Translating a book from English to Spanish

If you are going to do that to put out a Spanish version of your book, it may not turn out well. In other words, I think you'll not be received well by Spanish readers because alot is lost in translation, if you will.

I'm thinking about having mine translated into Spanish, and it's a process quite more involved and costly than an online translation tool.

I hope that helps,

Lisa

http://lisaandres.com/

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Sep 10, 2013 11:17 AM in response to: johnbchiro

The online translators remind me of the Monty Python bit . . . My hovercraft is full of eels.

But whether you hire someone, use whatever services, one thing I always tried to do with translations (I worked in international advertising for a while), was to have back translations made, e.g. English to Spanish (what country? that can make a huge difference), then Spanish back to English.  Advertising Age had a "contest" for the best back translation. The only one I remember was Dove Bar in to French then back to English: Pigeon on a Stick.

You can do fairly well with ordinary language using on-line translators, use more than one, do back translations, but what you will never be able to avoid idiomatic disasters (Nothing Sucks Like an Electrolux), and you will have 0 (nada) style or finesse.

Walton

Level 1 46 posts since
Oct 8, 2012
3. Sep 10, 2013 11:47 AM in response to: johnbchiro

Here is the company I used to translate my book from English to Korean, which is not an easy task. I found their prices very competitive and customer service was very attentive. http://www.commonspacelanguage.com

Here is the finished result:

http://www.amazon.com/Jindo-Moon-Korean-Tales-presents/dp/149098609X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378838713&sr=1-2

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
4. Feb 15, 2014 11:23 PM in response to: johnbchiro

I am trying just the reverse, from Spanish to English. Even more, the two versions in the same book, preferably two paralell columns. Mine is Word 2010. Firstly I cannot find a program to put side by side two columns in different languages. Second, it could work two lenguages into two separate pages, face to face pages, left page Spanish, right page English for instance. I'll try it to see what happens. Yes, if you are not fluent in both languages, the translation might not be as good as desirable, but nevertheless it is worth trying. Hiring a pro translator is costly and a lot of work to find a good one. 

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 17, 2013
5. Feb 16, 2014 12:31 AM in response to: johnbchiro

I've been translating my book into spanish myself. As far as the meaning behind the phrases I can do a pretty good job. The only thing holding me back is having to go back and edit stuff because of accents and other lil' things.

«Por favor no lo mates» le suplico cautelosamente.

«Muévete a un lado que tengo que matar a este cerdo»

«Por favor no lo hagas...» Le respondió antes de que el llanto la consumiera completamente.

Me detuve por un breve momento al escuchar la cacofonía producida por las lágrimas cada vez que se encontraban contra el suelo una y otra vez. El sonido rebotaba dentro de las cuatro paredes de mi mente repetidamente. No podía creer que después de tanto daño que le causo a ella y al mundo, ella aun así quería que lo dejara con vida.

“Please don’t kill him,” she begged.

“Please move aside. I have to kill this filthy pig.”

“Please don’t,” she responded before bursting into tears.

I paused for a second there and heard the sound of her tears hit the floor. The sound kept echoing inside the walls of my mind. I couldn’t believe that she still wanted me to let him live even after all the wrong he had done unto her and everyone around him.

I'd suggest using an online dictionary www.reference.com and www.rae.es. Google translate won't do you any justice. Why not look for a cheap college student willing to work on your book?

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
6. Feb 16, 2014 4:04 AM in response to: FallenApostate

yes, the cheap college student is a good idea, thanks. I'll keep trying. Never give up!

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 17, 2013
7. Feb 20, 2014 12:22 PM in response to: Philoppon

Maybe I could help you with the parts you are having trouble with. How long is your book?

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
8. Feb 22, 2014 3:28 AM in response to: FallenApostate

It could be a good idea. You help me with my translation from Spanish to English and I help you with your translation from English to Spanish. Right?

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 17, 2013
9. Feb 22, 2014 6:17 PM in response to: Philoppon

Sure thing.

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
10. Feb 24, 2014 3:33 AM in response to: FallenApostate

maybe we could try a new approach. You read the chapters of my bilingual book to make sure they are in readable US English and I pay you a fee, right?

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 17, 2013
11. Mar 6, 2014 12:57 PM in response to: Philoppon

Yeah, send me an email fallenaposte [at] yahoo.com

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
12. Mar 7, 2014 8:56 AM in response to: FallenApostate

delivery status notification failure

fallenaposte@yahoo.con

&

fallenapostate@yahoo.com

&

fallenaposte [at] @yahoo.com

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 17, 2014
13. Mar 17, 2014 1:34 PM in response to: johnbchiro

I can help. I'm a freelance translator, English to Spanish and vice versa. $10 per page (regardless of word count). Déjame saber si puedo ayudarte o si tienes preguntas.

Level 0 11 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
14. Mar 17, 2014 11:31 PM in response to: olgaelena

what do you mean by one page? a DIN-A4 page?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...