Skip navigation
395 Views 4 Replies Last post: Sep 19, 2018 4:59 PM by Publish3r RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
Dec 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2018 7:05 PM

what's going on with createspace

why is createspace making everyone move they books to kindle direct publishing I dont understand is this site going down or something?

Someone know the answer to what is going on?

Level 1 34 posts since
Sep 18, 2012
1. Sep 19, 2018 1:00 AM in response to: Mrs.Hubert2013
Re: what's going on with createspace

Yes.  CreateSpace is going away, and will not exist anymore.  Amazon are consolodating all self-publishing into KDP.  No  one has a choice unless they choose to delete all of their books and self-publish elsewhere.

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 1, 2017
2. Sep 19, 2018 4:48 AM in response to: lilacvalleydoll

I didn't see an "opt out" option. Does anyone have a link?

I would like to know what it means to "cancel the contract" with them at this point. Like, do I maintain my rights to my work? Can I immediately self-publish elsewhere?

Level 5 5,632 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
3. Sep 19, 2018 6:28 AM in response to: Gonteekwa

There is no "opt out." Either you move to KDP Print, allow CS to move your account to KDP Print, or you retire all of your books with CS.

Gonteekwa wrote:

Like, do I maintain my rights to my work? Can I immediately self-publish elsewhere?

You always had all the rights to your own work. Your agreement with CS is non-exclusive. You've always been free to take your work wherever you like.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 0 2 posts since
Aug 15, 2016
4. Sep 19, 2018 4:59 PM in response to: Mrs.Hubert2013

I can understand wanting to have ebooks and paperbacks on the same platform, but IMHO they're doing the move the wrong way round.

They should have migrated the KDP titles to CreateSpace.

The KDP platform is quite crude in comparison to CreateSpace, and feels like a straitjacket.

The more I look into it, the more it seems like a major DOWNGRADE.

To begin with, the very interface you get on KDP is far less sophisticated and I personally find it frustrating.

Then you notice that while CS gives you both a 13-digit and a 10-digit ISBN, KDP only gives you a 13-digit one. That may be OK in the US, but in other countries it's the 10-digit ISBN that matters, plus having only a 13-digit ISBN looks unprofessional.

Also, KDP's cover creator made me want to scream in horror.

On CreateSpace I create my beautiful covers using my own images, which already have text, created using my own choice of fonts, as well as my own preferred text layout and orientation. So then I upload a complete cover as a 300dpi JPEG on CS cover creator just to double check it all looks as it should.

Well, there is no option to do that on the horrid KDP cover creator, as it does NOT offer a blank template! Why??

Yes, I know the other option would be to upload a print-ready PDF, but that is a poor choice, because: 1) you don't get any preview, and 2) the picture from a PDF somehow gets downgraded to a lower resolution, which is why I opt for 300dpi JPEGs instead.

How come nobody has thought of these things in all the time they have been working on this?

The whole thing is proving to be a disaster.

I repeat, I can understand wanting to have ebooks and paperbacks on the same  platform, but IMHO they should have migrated the KDP titles to CreateSpace instead.

They would probably be still in time to do that and avert a disaster.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...