Skip navigation
675 Views 9 Replies Last post: Nov 17, 2018 11:52 AM by jps7 RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Sep 2, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 5, 2018 4:15 PM

File too Complex (another one!)

Hi, I'm in contact with Createspace technical help, and I've looked through the many other "File too Complex" threads, but I feel there may be some unique aspects to mine/my situation.  Any help here would be appreciated. 

So my book is 340 pages, lots of pictures/graphs/etc.  I made the book in MS Word on Mac, and have formatted it with Adobe Acrobat DC.  I've repeatedly tried flattening all images, as well as turning all images to maximal rasterization on the slider, all to no avail.  The preflight says "no transparancies", so according to Acrobat, there are no issues there. 

The glimmer of light is I've gotten the first 150 pages of my book to be accepted, and the last 150 give or take a few have also gotten accepted minus the page number being wrong. 

What I'm thinking is that I have a lot of graphs in the book, especially in the last chapter, and I just copied them from excel and pasted them as "PDF" which I know now is very vector heavy.

What I'm thinking the solution is is to re-paste all those images in the book in some other format, i.e. jpeg.  Anyone have any ideas for me here?

Thanks so much.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Nov 8, 2018 10:29 AM in response to: jps7
Re: File too Complex (another one!)

I have instructions on my free page for how to convert text into outline (i.e. pictures).  The resulting PDF will have un-editable text.  This is how things used to be done many years ago when text presented lots of problems.

You need Acrobat, which I guess you have.

CS used to do this to try to make PDFs print when there were text problem.  I had one book that passed every text related preflight, and was PDF/X-1a compliant, that failed to print until I converted all the text to outline.  It increases the file size, but solves a multitude of problems.  This conversion will, however, fail, if there are corruption issues.  It will stop where there are problems, and you can usually fix them.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 9, 2018 8:41 AM in response to: jps7

You should probably also save this file as a PDF/X-1a.  This is the most conservative of the print realted PDF presets.  There is in Acrobat a PDF/X-1a compliance preflight (Tools > Print Production > Preflight > Verify Compliance with PDF/X-1a . . . Analyze and fix), run that.

I am wary of online conversions, fixes, etc. When you converted text to outline, it went through ok?  No hiccups? Did you check the file?

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
5. Nov 11, 2018 9:49 AM in response to: jps7

Generally the admonition against dragging and dropping, or copy and paste goes back twenty plus years. Programs like PagMaker "insisted" that images be inserted using their insert/place command.According to Adobe, they had complaints when people did not use insert/place.  Were these complaints real?  Significant?  I don't know.  I suspect it had more to do with operating systems (Windows 95, Windows 98, Millenium) than it did anything esle.  But why tempt the fates?  So I almost always insert or place. I do not think that this is athe problem.

How big is your file before the  Ilovepdf file size reducer?  I am skeptical of it, for no reason, but it is the one thing in the workflow I have no experience with. 

For file size reduction,

• You can use RGB rather than CMYK files (PDF/X-1a converts to CMYK), in which case PDF/X-3 is ideal if your work is initially RGB.  The size difference and be as much as two times bigger for CMYK! 
  • Also, you can use some image compression, Between 11 or even 10 on Adobe systems, 92 to 84 % on most other programs. 
  • You could even drop your resoltuio to 280 (I don't know if KDP would block 280 or not, they "insist" on 300 dpi).

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
8. Nov 14, 2018 12:44 PM in response to: jps7

Docx seems to be more problematic than doc.  Many of use convert to doc to avoid problems.  PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, if you have them, often solve potential problems.

Photoshop to PDF creates files that can be 2 or 3 times bigger than distilling to PDF.  I've tested this with Acrobat, doPDF, primoPDF (the last two being free).  So, what program you use can make a big difference in PDF file size.

The two PDF presets I mention, will remove transparency, PDF/X-1a will also convert RGB to CMYK.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...