Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
451 Views 5 Replies Last post: Nov 11, 2018 9:56 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 8, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2018 1:56 PM

What file types won't change my fonts and columns from a Word Document?

I was talking to someone today about my book and my problems with having converted my Word doc to PDF on here. He said that PDF doesn't accept all fonts and it may depend on what form of Adobe Acrobat I have. IDK... my book will be done in the 5"x 8" trim size if that makes any difference. All I know is that some of my fonts changed, my columns got misaligned, and my text box spacing got messed up so they cover parts of the text. I also need to know if I need to figure out text box bordering myself or if I can request createspace publishers to do it for me. Thanks much!!

Level 5 5,668 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 3, 2018 2:05 PM in response to: NottechieinNH
Re: What file types won't change my fonts and columns from a Word Document?

Portable Document Format (PDF) is the only document type designed specifically to render identically on every computer, provided all fonts used in the original document are properly embedded in the PDF. Not all fonts are embeddable; it depends on the font's licensing.

CreateSpace will do nothing to your file when they print beyond adding a barcode and printing information on the final page.

FYI, CS is merging with KDP Print. At some point in the future you'll need to move your account to KDP (or they will do it for you).

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 3 444 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
2. Nov 3, 2018 4:03 PM in response to: NottechieinNH
... problems with having converted my Word doc to PDF on here.

If "on here" means you uploaded a Word document, not a PDF, then it's pretty much guaranteed that the formatting will change when CS (or anyone else, for that matter) makes a PDF from it.  To avoid this, you need to make the PDF yourself, verify that it's the way you want it, and upload that.  You'll also need to check the settings in the PDF creator you use to make sure that it is set to embed all the fonts.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 8, 2018 10:48 AM in response to: NottechieinNH

There are two main kinds of fonts, TrueTypeFonts and OpenTypeFonts, you can see which is which by looking at the file extension: arial.ttf versus minion_pro.otf. 

Word will let you use OpenTypeFonts . . . but it will not embed them in a Word file, and if you use Word's Save as PDF feature, they won't embed.  You have to use a PDF conversion program.  Acrobat is the gold standard (read $$$).  But many of the free PDF conversion programs do a good job.  I've tested primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995.  All good.  You will have to set the paper/trim/output size, or it will default to 8.5 x 11.  You can also use OpenOffice: simply open the file in OO, then export to PDF/A, it will set the paper size. 

When you look at the PDF, which you should do, set Reader to View > Page Display > Two Page View and also select Show Cover in Two Page View. Look at every page very very very carefully.  Also, check FIle > Properties.  Make sure the page size is correct.  Make sure all the fonts are embeded.  Subsetting is okay. 

In theory, what you see is what you get.  There should be no changes from the PDF formatting to the printed proof. 

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Nov 11, 2018 9:56 AM in response to: NottechieinNH

All .otf (e.g. minion-pro.otf) fonts will not be embedded in Word files or PDFs made using Word's Save as PDF feature. 

All .ttf (e.g. arial.ttf) fonts will embed in both Word files and PDF's made using Word's Save as PDF features.

You can use .otf fonts with Word, but you must then use a PDF conversion program, and double check that the fonts are embedded when you examine the PDF prior to uploading.

Also, fonts with restricted embedding rights cannot be embedded. 

Go to your font folder and take a look, in newer OSs, you will also see the embedding rights in the large font box at the bottom, after clicking on a specific font in the font folder.

Asking for the exact fonts are this or that is unreasonable: there are hundreds of thousands of fonts out there.  I have around 10,000 on my computer. 

text box bordering is up to me huh?

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...