Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
14,029 Views 6 Replies Last post: Jan 20, 2014 7:44 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 28 posts since
Feb 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2014 10:20 AM

Minimum pages required for spine lettering on print with CS

Subject line pretty much says it all. 

Having a print book cover produced and not sure how many pages are required to be able to use lettering on the print book spine.

I have seen a couple #'s used.  Heard 102, then 120-130.

Would appreciate clarification.

Thanks

Drew

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jan 19, 2014 10:29 AM in response to: Drew95
Re: Minimum pages required for spine lettering on print with CS

CS requires 0.0625" on either side of the text to the fold line. That's 0.125" and with white paper (0.002252/pg) that's 56 pages.  If your text is 0.125" high, then the minimum number of pages is approximately 110.  With cream paper (.0025/pg) 50 pages and 50 pages . . . or a minimum of 100 pages for text on a cover.

So roughly, if you  make your own cover you can get by with 100 pages.  If you use the CoverCreator, the minimum is 130 pages.

Walton

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jan 19, 2014 10:43 AM in response to: Drew95

They discourage it on covers for books with fewer than 130 pages.  But if you're providing your own print-ready cover PDF (as opposed to using Cover Creator) and can keep the spine text within the same zone, you can sometimes get away with it down to about 110 pages (depends on the reviewer and on paper/color, so I can't give an absolute bottom limit).

In any case, below about 110 pages the spine text is either going to be too small to be effective, or it will wrap around to the front or back covers because the amount of possible shift/variance that occurs with print-on-demand becomes greater than half the spine's width -- so while it might be possible, I've never tried to place text on a spine narrower than 110 pages on any CreateSpace paperback.

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Jan 19, 2014 10:50 PM in response to: Drew95

Quoted directly from CS's official submission guidelines: (https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/CoverPDF.jsp)

The spine of your book

Every book will vary slightly when bound. Allow for 0.0625" variance on either side of the fold lines for your cover. For example, if your spine width is 1", your text should be no wider than 0.875". Because of this variance, avoid hard edges or lines that end on the fold line.

For books with 130 pages or less, we strongly recommend a blank spine. Blank spines are required for books with less than 101 pages.

This guidance is for fullwrap PDF covers uploaded directly to your dashboard. The Cover Creator seems to outright exclude books with fewer than 130 pages from having spine text.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Sep 5, 2009
4. Jan 20, 2014 5:25 AM in response to: Drew95

I'll give it a second go:

Spine Text and Image Requirements

This is due to potential print variance and spine requirements. Any book with less than 101 pages with 0.0625? of space on either side of the text would be too small to be easily read.

We strongly recommend not including spine text on books with fewer than 131 pages due to the potential for print variance.

Spine text and spine logos must have 0.0625? of space on either side. This includes letters with ascenders and/or descenders like y, g, or d where the letter extends below the baseline or above the mean line of a font.

We will attempt to adjust spine text or spine logos issues to meet our requirements during the review process.

These requirements are to ensure the text always prints on the spine during the bookmaking process.

<Page 65, PDF Submission Specification, https://www.createspace.com/ServicesWorkflow/ResourceDownload.do?id=1583, (books_diyspec_v1_1379958981220.pdf)

Of course, as always, I could be wrong, and might be, but that is what I have done: spine text on 100, which really is 101 if you include the verso, which I usually do, unless the client is adament about not including it. So far CS has accepted spine text on books at 100-130 pages. I guess I should have found the quote sooner. Because of the 0.0625" out-of-live margin on the spine, I usually use caps, which lets you use 12-14 pt: although I would examine it very carefully to make sure it doesn't have a an extra large H-height Here are three examples, the H-height is 0.125":

Contrary to CS's assessment, spine text at these sizes is readable. However, CS's acceptable variances for trimming, do make spine on thin books an iffy thing.

Walton

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
5. Jan 20, 2014 7:23 AM in response to: Drew95

Hi Drew95… I went thru the same confusion as you regarding text on the spine.  As Lipmag, Walton, and LH24 correctly pointed out, if you use CS’s Cover Creator, it will not let you put text on the spine of a book unless the book is 131 pages or more.

On the other hand, if you build your own cover from scratch, you can put text on the spine of a book which is at least 101 pages.  The smallest spine width I ever used here at CS was for a 120 page book.  I used the font Arial Black size 8.862.  I also slightly stretched the font to give it more width.  It’s quite readable even at a slight distance.

As Walton recommended, ALL CAPS work best when the spine is that thin.  And if you don’t keep the text at least .0625 from the fold lines of the spine, either CS will attempt to move the text into compliance or reject the title.  Allowing CS to move the text is usually not a good idea.  It sometimes means the whole cover is shifted.  You’re better off resubmitting a cover which does meet their specs.

If your book is shy of the 101 pages, it’s easy to add a few pages…add a page listing other books by the author, add a foreword, preface, afterword, author bio, a blank page after the title page or copyright page, etc.

Hope that helps,

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Nuf-Nuf  Puzzle  Book (250 pages of Word Searches, Picture Puzzles, Jumbles, Wizard Words, Mysteries, and More)  Nuf-Nuf (fun-fun) for Kids ages 9 to 109!

Sep 5, 2009
6. Jan 20, 2014 7:44 AM in response to: Drew95

Following Dee's answer, let me add . . . use a template from http://www.bookow.com click on the Resources tab.  Finish the complete cover, do not let CS have an excuse to do anything, e.g. adding the ISBN barcode, which you can download on the same page as the cover template from Bookow. 

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...