This discussion is archived
12,926 Views 5 Replies Last post: May 7, 2009 9:01 AM by hgere RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Apr 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2009 6:44 PM

Setting DPI in Adobe Illustrator to 300 DPI

All,

The pages for my new book were created in Adobe Illustrator CS2.  Illustrator doesn't use DPI from what I read online.  They have PPI in CS3 however I don't have this program.  I have photoshop too.  What is the easiet way to up my resolution to 300 DPI?  Should I cut & Paste the files into new photoshop files set at 300?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Heather

Level 5 11,780 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Apr 13, 2009 8:21 PM in response to: hgere
Re: Setting DPI in Adobe Illustrator to 300 DPI

Illustrator is a vector program, and therefore doesn't use DPI/PPI until you export it to a bitmap-type file such as JPG.

If you have created your artwork solely in Illustrator then it should be scalable, and is also scalable when saved to EPS or PDF formats. However, if you have imported photos (or other bitmaps) into Illustrator, the artwork will no longer be scalable without compromising the quality.

Also, photos must be 300dpi before you import them into Illustrator. When you save/export, the PDF will automatically be saved at 300dpi, provided that all elements used are also 300dpi.

When you save, make sure the page properties accurately reflect your book pages, allowing for bleed if you need it. The resulting PDF dimensions will be exactly what you set the page dimensions to be.

Level 5 11,780 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Apr 14, 2009 5:06 PM in response to: hgere

I'd be tempted to proceed with the proof despite the so-called 72dpi message, but then for peace of mind it might just be better to do as you described and import to Photoshop and convert it there.

When you compile all your individual Illustrator PDFs into one file (I'll assume in Acrobat) are you then saving as Press Quality or High Quality PDF? That last step may be compressing your final PDF.

Level 0 14 posts since
Nov 19, 2007
4. Apr 17, 2009 2:32 PM in response to: hgere

I have never created the interior of a book in Illustrator, but I did create the cover of my second POD book with that program. I have to say that I didn't receive a message alerting me that it was 72 dpi. Perhaps you could write to customer service and ask them about this. I once contacted them about a message regarding the resolution and it turned out that I received the message in error. Maybe that was the case for you too.

Heather

--

POD Publicity - How to Take a Print-on-Demand Book From Obscurity to Profitability

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...