Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
14,043 Views 27 Replies Last post: Jul 22, 2014 2:56 PM by HollywoodClown RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 1 153 posts since
Nov 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2014 2:43 PM

Share your book trailer......

To help gain support with your writing, have you thought about doing a book trailer? Great for posting on Facebook and Twitter to help get noticed.

Here are is my attempt http://www.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=8C39JX95dcY

Please post your to share ideas.

Evelyn x

Level 1 6 posts since
Apr 19, 2013
1. Feb 21, 2014 7:00 PM in response to: Evelyn_Winters
Re: Share your book trailer......
Level 5 7,665 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
2. Feb 21, 2014 7:04 PM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

You did well. Thanks for posting.

Level 5 7,665 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
3. Feb 21, 2014 7:07 PM in response to: kimsmith

Oooh! Love it and that last scene -- if their parts don't get them killed first . . . Wow!

Level 1 6 posts since
Apr 19, 2013
4. Feb 28, 2014 4:18 PM in response to: Ninian

Thanks Ninian!

Level 1 142 posts since
Dec 29, 2013
5. Mar 3, 2014 11:38 AM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

Hi Evelyn,

I looked at your trailer because I have never looked at book trailers before. I am, therefore, no expert.

From viewing your post, I can definitely see how a trailer could be a useful tool for drumming up interest. It is clear you put a lot of time and work into it.

I am going to assume that because you posted your trailer here, you are looking for a critique of some kind. Of course, one should never assume, right?

To start...The book looks fun for kids...  The trailer, however, is too long for kids.

I say this not as an expert in trailers...I am a developmental psychologist (Ph.D.).

There is a reason that T.V. ads for kids are usually no more than 30 secs... Everyone has a limited attention span.

Kids' just happen to have ones that are even more limited!

Your trailer would be more effective for your demographic if you trimmed it and made it more of a teaser than a summary.

IMHO- You could cut a lot of the place photos and stick more with the illustrations. Kids tend to recognize if something is intended for them based on the type of illustrations. Realism (unless it is a photo of other children) tends to signal adult material to kids (and to adults, as well).

Please: Someone with marketing experience could chime in here too.

As you know, you must keep in mind your audience and to whom you are selling. This is true when you are writing and when you are making a trailer.

I think some tweaking in this regard would make your trailer much more effective and make selling your book that much easier.

Best of luck

-M.O.M.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 5, 2014
6. Mar 3, 2014 12:11 PM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

Hi Everyone!

Here's my book trailer for The Willow Tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1CRJO5LUo

Level 0 11 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
7. Mar 3, 2014 12:12 PM in response to: MeanOldMother

@MeanOldMother  - developmental psychologist, cool! would appreciate your comment about my middle grade trailer.  book cover is placeholder, not actual.  Target age 9 - 12

Not a Snowball Chance -- Middle Grade Mystery

http://youtu.be/upe1rJDLj5o

Fleur deKey - Mystery

http://youtu.be/hDKWwJoid8U

Level 1 142 posts since
Dec 29, 2013
8. Mar 4, 2014 8:19 AM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

Hi IntheSpirit,

You caught my nine-year-old's interest with the "brain freeze" and the "great idea" bit, but lost her once you went to the realistic picture of the bookstore.

Develpmental Psychologist says: Unfortunately, there was too much to process in the picture for her to read the information and follow (despite the fact that she has a 5th grade + reading ability). This is part of the reason that illustrations work so well for kids. They are less distracting by stripping away everything but the essential information. LESS DISTRACTABILITY=MORE ABSORBED

My daughter stepped away from the screen, did something else and came back to see the "factoid" statement...she liked that.

This highlights the importance of keeping these trailers for kids very short. As I mentioned in my previous critique, 30 secs is ideal. If you summarize less and tease more (which takes less time), you probably would keep the attention of kids (and everyone else) better.

There is another problem with summarizing...you create the expectation in the watcher/reader that they are going to understand the story. Since you can't tell your whole story in a trailer, you leave the the watcher feeling confused or unfulfilled. This is not your desired outcome. When you tease, there is no expectation of seeing a whole story and no disappointment...just an appetite for more. YAY!!!

To this point...

I asked my daughter to watch again... her final response was, "I don't get it."

I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear.

GOOD NEWS: You have great material to work with. The music is catchy and your format is interesting. Just cut it!!!  LESS IS MORE!

Good luck

-M.O.M.

Level 0 2 posts since
Feb 24, 2013
9. Mar 4, 2014 8:19 AM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

Here's one my husband and I did for my book The Tree House:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_UuVsxXk0

Level 0 6 posts since
May 26, 2013
10. Mar 3, 2014 7:23 PM in response to: Evelyn_Winters
Level 1 33 posts since
Apr 26, 2012
11. Mar 3, 2014 11:22 PM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

http://youtu.be/oahFKPSOw88

I think this is a direct link to my book trailer.. it was my first attempt... (be kind, but have at 'er... honest helpful critisism is more than welcomed! I know a few of it's shortcomings already.)

I am so unbelieveably lucky to be a part of a community of writers who are so talented!

Hope you enjoy!

K.

Level 0 11 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
12. Mar 4, 2014 4:15 AM in response to: sighingsoftly6

Maybe shorten it? shorten the time on the first slides.  I've found in the statistics from my first book trailer that part of the viewers will drop off after 1.5 minutes. Your music cue to a more frenzied pitch is at the right spot, so you would need to cut music from the front end if you shorten the slide views

Level 0 4 posts since
Jan 7, 2013
13. Mar 4, 2014 6:08 AM in response to: Evelyn_Winters

Hi all,

I'm new the boards, so hopefully nobody minds my double-dipping since I shared this trailer in "Share Your Work" forum also.

It's for my first novel CONVERGENCE: http://youtu.be/VEafNqdLPi8

Let me know your thoughts. It was designed by Glendon Haddix at Streetlight Graphics.

Level 0 11 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
14. Mar 4, 2014 8:50 AM in response to: MeanOldMother

I truly appreciate your (and your daughter's) time - and feedback

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...