Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
13,924 Views 8 Replies Last post: Dec 22, 2009 11:53 AM by Nate RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
May 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2009 4:36 AM

Specialty Trim Sizes - 5 x 8 - what is the cost difference from regular trim sizes for B&W Books?

Hello!

I would really like to have my black and white book printed in the 5 x 8 specialty trim size.  I have searched the forums and CS site, but I cant find the pricing for the specialty sizes vs. the standard...What I could find was the available CS trim size chart. Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

We offer the following standard trim sizes:

Full-color interior books:
5.25" x 8"
5.5" x 8.5"
6" x 9"
7" x 10"
8" x 10"
8.25" x 8.25"
8.25" x 6"

Black and white interior books:
5.25" x 8"
5.5" x 8.5"
6" x 9"
7" x 10"
8" x 10"
8.25" x 8.25"
8.25" x 6"

We also accept the following specialty trim sizes for both color and black and white interior books:
5" x 8"
5.06" x 7.81"
6.14" x 9.21"
6.69" x 9.61"
7.44" x 9.69"
7.5" x 9.25"

Level 5 11,777 posts since
May 4, 2008

The speciality trim sizes are the same cost as the regular trim sizes. The only variations in cost are between black & white vs colour books, and the total number of pages in your book.

CreateSpace do not offer cover templates for the specialty trim sizes, so you will have to design the cover from scratch, using the specs provided and calculate the spine width from the formula on the specs page. The Cover Creator might be able to work with specialty trim sizes, but I'm not sure of this as I only use Photoshop for my covers.

Level 5 9,261 posts since
Aug 22, 2008

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but . . .

I had saved a spreadsheet for calculating CS book prices/profits (it used to be on this website, but was removed when the site was redesigned).  I shared it with another member here who posted it on his website for other members to access.  I referenced it in this post: https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/21261 where CreateSpaceKate indicated that it works for some page count and trim size combinations, but "it doesn't work for all of them."  But it does seem to work for all regular trim sizes with any valid page count, color or black-and-white -- which led me to conclude that specialty trim sizes must be priced differently.

Now, that may be totally wrong (I'd trust lipmag's definitive answer over my speculation, and I would have given the same answer until Kate advised against using the spreadsheet).  So . . . if you pursue this project and find out from CS that a specialty trim size does have different pricing, please post a follow-up and share the information.  Thanks!

May 4, 2008

Given that all the standard trim sizes have the same price, it would be reasonable to expect that the non-standard trim sizes would also be the same price, as none of the non-standard trim sizes exceed the maximum trim sizes (8x10" or 8.25x8.25").

On the Pricing & Royalties tab on the Publish page (https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/#content2) it lists the costs per page for b&w or colour, under the standard plan or pro plan, and clearly states this applies to "all trim sizes". If CS were going to charge a different rate for specialty trim sizes, surely these would be listed on this page?

Level 5 9,261 posts since
Aug 22, 2008

lipmag, I totally agree -- as I said, I would have given the same answer you did.  But when CSKate said that pricing doesn't apply to all trim size and page count combinations, then I wondered what the exceptions were.  Still do.

May 4, 2008

I think she meant that the spreadsheet did not include formulas for all the trim sizes, and therefore wouldn't work, not that the prices would be different.

CreateSpaceKate Representative 273 posts since
Nov 5, 2007

The Book Pricing Page details the pricing for all book trim sizes. Lighthouse, I'm sorry if my previous post was unclear and I hope this helps to clarify.

-Kate

Level 2 397 posts since
Jan 8, 2007

Ironically 5x8 is industry standard as is 6.625 x 10.25 is an industry standard for comics and graphic novels. For expanded distribution it says:

* To sell your book through the Bookstores and Online Retailers distribution outlet within the Expanded Distribution Channel, you must choose an industry standard trim size, and your book must have at least 48 pages. Additionally, books with cream paper must be one of the following trim sizes: 5.25" x 8", 5.5" x 8.5", or 6" x 9".

But it totally leaves out 5x8, 5.25 x 8.5 and 6.625 x 10.25 (which isn't even listed in the cover creator yet) and all of these are industry standards. I think 5.25 x 8 is a CS standard and they just like it so they keep with it. 5.5 x 8.5 and 6 x 9 are definitely industry standards. I went to a book store and measured the book and most fell in the 5 x 8 and 5.25 x 8.5 sizes. Keep in mind these were popular fiction books. ALL the comics and graphics novels were 6.625 x 10.25 and the digest graphics novels were manga sized 5 X 7.5 but American digest sized comics were originally 5.5 x 8.5 (the size I'll be using for my smaller graphic novels).

-Nate

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...