This discussion is archived
15,428 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 14, 2014 1:24 AM by B.D.H. RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Feb 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2014 10:32 AM

CreateSpace-Assigned ISBN and traditional publishers

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after a quick search i can't find an answer.

I have a CreateSpace-Assigned ISBN for my first book. I am in the process of pitching to publishers and agents my second book. My question is, if I am offered a deal for my first book (which has a CreateSpace-Assigned ISBN ) I assume I can retire it from Createspace/kindle direct publishing and then it would be free for the traditional publisher. My question is do they use the same ISBN that I used for Createspace or is the book issued with a new ISBN?

Am I right that I can retire it and Createspace (or kindle direct publishing) has no rights over it what-so-ever?

I know it probably wont get an offer - but I can but dream (and be prepared for when it does )

BD

Level 5 3,078 posts since
Jul 28, 2008
1. Jul 13, 2014 10:44 AM in response to: B.D.H.
Re: CreateSpace-Assigned ISBN and traditional publishers

Your CreateSpace title can be retired. A traditional publisher will issue a new ISBN for their edition of your book. You retain your rights when you publish with CreateSpace so you can easily walk away.

Level 0 34 posts since
Sep 23, 2011
2. Jul 13, 2014 11:06 AM in response to: B.D.H.

BD, my approach to this: I will make some changes in the mss I give to the publisher. Using wonderful suggestions from responders here.  Let big time publishers  get a new ISBN and copy right for 'their' book. New cover, etc. Maybe even a new title, we'll see. I  still own 'my' book and can sell it if I choose.

If the publisher should, for an example, decide to stop printing my book, I can continue to buy and sell mine. I am willing to let thrm do what they want with the Amazon account. The people I work with seem to think this is possible.  I consider my books an investment. I buy them, sell them, and make a 10% return. I love to sit in a shop  and sell and sign my books. Kauai is a travel destination so my books go all over the world. I hear from editors, publishers, agents, etc.who find it and read it and like it. It works.

At present CHILDREN  of the EXTINCTION  by Bettejo Dux is on Amazon.You can check it out. Am having a dickens of a time getting on Kindle. Sigh. Don't know why. Will have a book signiing party-sneak preview-at a delightful cafe, Birdies- up the hill from me. We have no book stores- to speak of-on Kauai. One used book store-great place- and a couple of really small shops that sell books. Costco sells books, too. I would probably be sold to Barnes and Noble on Oahu.

My book is very controversial. Maybe I'll get banned on Kauai. The only book about Kauai banned on Kauai. They used to say, "If you want a best seller, get iot banned in Boston." I'm just kidding, of course. Let us know how you fare. Mahalo for responding. Hope this helps. Aloha Bettejo Dux

Level 4 2,253 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
3. Jul 13, 2014 11:35 AM in response to: B.D.H.

My question is do they use the same ISBN that I used for Createspace or is the book issued with a new ISBN?

An ISBN identifies a specific edition of a book. If a different publisher releases your book, they must assign a different ISBN to it.

Am I right that I can retire it and Createspace (or kindle direct publishing) has no rights over it what-so-ever?

CreateSpace is not a publisher, you are. All CS does is print your book and make it available to Amazon (which is a bookstore). They do not have any rights to it.

I know it probably wont get an offer - but I can but dream (and be prepared for when it does )

Why would you dream about giving the control over your book to someone else?

The only time a commercial publisher would be interested in your self-published book would be if the book becomes popular, so they can profit from it. But if it does become popular, why would you want to split your profits with someone else?

Going through a commercial publisher made sense in the 19th and 20th Centuries. It makes no sense today. It may still make sense for a book that was never published if and only if you do not want to deal with the intricacies of the publishing process. But if you have already taken all the steps of publishing it yourself, what possible advantage do you expect from giving it away to someone else?

Level 0 34 posts since
Sep 23, 2011
5. Jul 13, 2014 1:38 PM in response to: RedPrince

"The only time a commercial publisher would be interested in your self-published book would be if the book becomes popular, so they can profit from it. But if it does become popular, why would you want to split your profits with someone else?" Red Prince

This is not true. An agent may become interested in selling to a publisher. Publishers can go big time, world wide, etc. Our work is what agents have to sell. Our published work is what publishing houses sell. They also offer  'up front' money. How much do you want? If they won't give it to you, don't sell. But you will have an honest assessment of your mss. Talking to editors at publishing houses is fun. They also write letters of rejection, no rejection slips. Mostly flattering. They like to stay in touch with marketable. writers

I consider my self published books  investments. Make a 10% return.  Enjoy selling them locally. Plenty 'da kine'  visitors on Kauai. From everywhere.  Every profession. Uually happy tourists with money to spend.

I do want to thank all of you for the advice given to me concerning my new controversial novel  CHILDREN  of the EXTINCTION. The future of Kauai. Wish youl could  all attend my 'sneak preview' at Birdies Cafe, August 16, 3-6PM. Will let you know how it goes.

Press, invitations, announcements,-TV, radio-are always fun. First TV interview this coming Wednesday.

My 'platform'  on Kauai is fairly extensive, Read all about it on back cover at Amazon Books.  CHILDREN of the EXTINCTION  Bettejo Dux. We do speak English here on one of the 6th most beautiful islands in the world. Wish you were here.

Mahalo and Aloha Bettejo Dux

Level 4 2,253 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
6. Jul 13, 2014 3:04 PM in response to: B.D.H.

Lastly, having a book on sale in a bookstore/supermarket will reach the audience who do not use the internet (yes there are some!)  or buy on the spur of the moment.

Then use EDC or Lightning Source and do your marketing. You do realize that going through a traditional commercial publisher is no guarantee the book will on sale in a bookstore, let alone in a supermarket, unless you market the book yourself, appear on TV shows, travel from city to city, appear on their local TV, talk to local groups, go to book signings, etc. On your own nickel.

It is no different from the things you have to do if you are the publisher. Just read John Kremer’s 1001 Ways to Market Your Books.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...