Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
12,331 Views 26 Replies Last post: Sep 25, 2014 5:49 PM by walton RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 18 posts since
Oct 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2014 8:15 AM

Artwork design pdf and adding scripts

I am getting my piture book illustrated, what should I tell the designer  regarding book size 8x10, pertaining to bleed etc? Should I have them  add the scripts to the illustrations? I think it will be done in pdf and then sent to me, or can I add the them myself? Which is  best? Please help! Does it matter what size my book is illustrated in,  meaning can I resize the pages?

Level 5 13,022 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Sep 23, 2014 9:19 AM in response to: laaries
Re: Artwork design pdf and adding scripts

If you're hiring a designer who hasn't previously prepared files for CreateSpace, I would recommend you have him/her download and read the Submission Specifications beginning with page 19, and with special attention to pages 34-37. (I believe it's better that your designer read the requirements directly, rather than getting your interpretation of them.)

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Sep 23, 2014 12:15 PM in response to: laaries

Alas, the PDF Submission Specification, referred to above, is flawed.  Take a look at Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace. 

Walton

Aug 22, 2008
3. Sep 23, 2014 12:46 PM in response to: walton

walton wrote:

Alas, the PDF Submission Specification, referred to above, is flawed.

Please elaborate -- where exactly is it flawed?

Sep 5, 2009
4. Sep 23, 2014 1:06 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

I am aware that most people here don't have problems with CS's guidelines; but one example, pgs 45-46. 

Walton

Aug 22, 2008
5. Sep 23, 2014 1:54 PM in response to: walton

What specifically? Those pages address watermarked PDFs, encrypted PDFs, PDFs with transparency, and the first paragraphs regarding low-res images. What exactly is "flawed" in that content?

Sep 5, 2009
6. Sep 23, 2014 2:45 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Really?  How about the title????

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
7. Sep 23, 2014 2:57 PM in response to: walton

I think I'm missing it as well....

Aug 22, 2008
8. Sep 23, 2014 3:03 PM in response to: walton

What title?

walton wrote:

Alas, the PDF Submission Specification, referred to above, is flawed. . . one example, pgs 45-46.

Again I ask, what specifically on those two pages is flawed? Please copy/paste the incorrect content.

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
9. Sep 23, 2014 4:33 PM in response to: laaries

laaries wrote:

Should I have them  add the scripts to the illustrations? I think it will be done in pdf and then sent to me, or can I add the them myself?

It's a bit tricky to add text to a PDF unless you have the proper software and skills to do it nicely. If you're going to the trouble of hiring a designer, part of their role is to set the text, so I'd let the designer take care of it for the best results.

The CS PDF specifications doc is a good guide. The main things to highlight to your designer are:

- the PDF can be designed in spreads, but must be exported in single page format

- all PDF pages should be contained in one PDF document (except the cover)

- bleed should only be included on the 3 outer edges, not on the gutter edge

- keep all text and live elements 0.25" away from the trim edge.

If they have done CS books before, they will know all this already. If they haven't designed to CS's specs before, there may be a learning curve, especially if CS raises any errors -- they don't always make sense.

Good luck!

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Sep 5, 2009
10. Sep 23, 2014 9:13 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

I must have confused things. At one time, I thought, the title had to be in Latin 1 characters exactly as it was entered during the title set up process.  There many other things that I have probably misconstrued  as well.

To the OP, my apologies, for possibly leading you astray.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
11. Sep 24, 2014 8:43 PM in response to: walton

I didn't really expect antone to care, but I assumed that the question was real, not just a knee jerk reaction. 

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
12. Sep 25, 2014 11:43 AM in response to: walton
Re: Artwork design pdf and adding scripts . . . PDF Submission Specifications

Well, there are several possible reasons why some people do not see anything wrong on pages 45 & 46 of the PDF Submission Specifications:

• I misread, misunderstood, am ignorant, stupid, or in the Twilight Zone, and pages 45 & 46 are correct
  • Others here misread, misunderstood, are ignorant, stupid, or in the Twilight Zone, and pages 45 & 46 are incorrect
  • CS has different editions/versions of the specifications, and it is right in one version and wrong in another
  • De minimis

And, I must apologize because I did not copy/paste my example into any of my previous answers.

I do understand that it would cost CS incalculable amounts of money to change things like this, if, in fact, it is a incorrect; further, it would increase our costs if CS were to make such changes (again, presuming this is incorrect) because of additional quality control issues. Yes? No? Piiman

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
13. Sep 25, 2014 11:43 AM in response to: walton

Are you referring to the fact that, while the text is correct the image does not reflect the Title restrictions?

Sep 5, 2009
14. Sep 25, 2014 11:54 AM in response to: R.C.

My original comment was, "Alas, the PDF Submission Specification, referred to above, is flawed."  When Lighthouse challenged that, I offered the example of pages 45 & 46.  Then, he challenged that ("Again I ask, what specifically on those two pages is flawed? Please copy/paste the incorrect content"). 

It's obvious, it isn't obvious . . . whether I copy/pasted it in or not.

The text on pages 45 & 46 is somewhat ambiguous/simplistic (to the point of omission) on the former and on the latter there is a typo (no big deal, not what I'd call a flaw).  That text???

walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...