Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
156 Views 1 Reply Last post: Nov 17, 2014 1:28 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 6, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2014 12:48 PM

Artwork resolution question

I have images that are 8 x 10 inches in 150 dpi.  In the book they reduce down considerably.  Using Photoshop I reduced them in size to fit but increased the dpi to 300.  Will that work?

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
1. Nov 17, 2014 1:28 PM in response to: juliamitchell
Re: Artwork resolution question

Several things are happening here:

First, if you insert an image into a Word file, InDesign file,etc., and you resize the image . . . it's effective resolution will change.  You want that resolution to be 300 dpi (or, more correctly, ppi, pixels per inch).  By inserting an image at the size you require, and therefore not resizing it in Word, InDesign, etc., the resolution does not change.  (In Word, if you use Word's Save as PDF feature, that will downsize images to 200 dpi, so don't use it, use a PDF conversion program like Acrobat, doPDF, primoPDF, cutePDF, 995PDF, etc.)

Second, usually if you select the right sampling method (e.g. in Photoshop Preserve Details (enlargement)) the image won't get softer when enlarged.  (Using Nearest Neighbor will enlarge, but it will produce jaggies.)  Examine the enlargements.  If necessary sharpen them.  I like hiraloam: for example, in unsharp mask use high radius (12-16 px) and low amount (40% - 70%).  If I'm sharpening, I often use several methods, each in its own layer (using comp images), adjusting them with the opacity slider.  

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...