Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
5,104 Views 2 Replies Last post: May 30, 2015 3:39 PM by tward46 RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Aug 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2015 11:42 AM

marketing to a local bookstore

Hi.  I have written two books of a series that is set in my hometown.  I think the series is something that my local bookstore would really be interested in, but I have no idea where they can order copies from.  Is there a particular catalog that they need to go to?  I want to be sure of where to tell them they can order them before I talk to them.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
1. May 30, 2015 1:17 PM in response to: tward46
Re: marketing to a local bookstore

Your best bet for selling to a bookstore is to handle distribution yourself as the discount and non-returnablity through CS is an issue for most.

It can be difficult to break into local bookstores as an independet unknown, especially with a book that is "unreturnable" but it is not  impossible. I've found it is more about selling myself than my book. Here is my standard process which has  worked fairly well.

I always ask to speak with management or ownership (the bookstores I approach are smaller independently owned shops) and when I do get to speak with them I don't bombard them with my pitch, instead I simply hand them my pitch kit, tell them I don't want to take up much of there  time, give a quick explination of who I am and ask them if they would be willing to review the kit and I will be in touch in a couple days  to  discuss it further.

More often than not they are willing to go into it right then in which case I walk them through my pitch. Otherwise I take a card and follow up in a couple days.

My pitch kit contains the following.

• Introductory letter introducing myself
  • Potential Marketting plan for the book in their store, this outlines the promotional pieces and events (readings/signings) I plan to provide to help aid in sales. As well as any cross promotion they will recieve be it online or print
  • Short summary of the book
  • Author Bio
  • Reviews
  • Book cover images in high and low resolution
  • Sample Marketing materials (posters, bookmarks, postcards, etc)
  • Distribution contract outlining the terms of distribution
  • One Review Copy of the book

Visit Us On Facebook    Visit Us On Twitter    Visit Us On Youtube    Visit Us On Pinterest

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...