Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
14,220 Views 10 Replies Last post: Apr 19, 2011 11:40 AM by Jamseekers RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Aug 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 6, 2009 10:25 PM

MS word 2007 save as PDF reduced dpi for images. What can I do?

Hello there,

Lighthouse were so nice and helped me enormously in detecting that MS Word 07 must have changed my source images from 300dpi to only 200 dpi. Thus resulting in less grayscales.

Does anybody have a solution?

I would like to upload my file for proof tomorrow. Thank you.

Level 1 208 posts since
Sep 16, 2009
1. Jan 29, 2010 6:52 PM in response to: SD26
Re: MS word 2007 save as PDF reduced dpi for images. What can I do?

1)  Set up your margins etc.

2)  Change your Compression setting in MS word.  (see link below for instructions on hyow to do it.

3)  Save as (use another name)

4)  Follow these instructions on the below link to deselect the decompression on MS Word

http://sites.google.com/site/thesongofthecoyote/how-to-self-publish-for-free-with-createspace-com/how-to-turn-off-the-compression-in-word

4)  Reload images by inserting them (do not copy from old document)

Keep your source images at 300 PDI do not reduce your image (CS is specific about that as well as most of the POD publishers).  Design your images in 300 PDI.

Level 0 4 posts since
Jan 29, 2008
2. Oct 21, 2010 12:34 PM in response to: SD26

I'm having the same problem. I would just like to find a good converter that would convert from MS Word and not lose the dpi of the artwork.

Level 1 88 posts since
May 25, 2010
3. Oct 21, 2010 1:25 PM in response to: SD26

The main problem is you should NOT resize the image in Word.

You  should make the image 300dpi and the EXACT dimensions needed for your  book in Photoshop, or whatever, and then INSERT the image into Word.

If you bring an image in and then grab a sizing handle and change it, Word will change the resolution of your image.

DO NOT resize images in Word.

Setting up your images correctly will solve this issue.

Oh, and to turn OFF Word 2007's automatic picture compressor:

Insert an image

Click on the image to select it

Click on <FORMAT> in the top menu bar

Click on <Compress Pictures> on the far left

A menu box will pop up.

Make sure "Apply to selected pictures only" is UNCHECKED

Click on <Options...>

UNCHECK "Automatically perform basic compression on save"

Click  <OK>

Click <OK> again

Hope that helps.

Level 0 49 posts since
Nov 1, 2010
4. Dec 22, 2010 8:22 PM in response to: Magic_Man

I did exactly what you suggested (several times) and got the same 200ppi result.  (Verified by opening the PDF in PhotoShop.)

I took a photo, did all my sizing in Photoshop, saved as max quality JPEG 300ppi.

Copied and pasted into Word doc.  Made no changes to the image in the Word doc.

Saved as PDF.  Ended up with the image at 200ppi (according to Photoshop) (although the page was 300ppi, according to Photoshop).

I did not resize the image in Word.

I made the image 5in x 4in, 300ppi and the exact dimensions desired, then inserted in Word doc.  No changes: no moving, resizing, dragging, cropping, reformatting, nothing.

I previously (thanks for pointing this out!) made sure to deselect the Word automatic picture compressor as you described.

But I'm still getting the unwanted reduction from 5x4in 300ppi to 5x4in 200ppi (same dimensions in inches).

What on earth is going wrong?

Level 5 13,403 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
5. Dec 22, 2010 9:18 PM in response to: drsurf

A stray thought just wound through my head. What happens if you save the image at 600dpi sized at 5x4. Will it also reduce to 200dpi?

Seal

Level 0 49 posts since
Nov 1, 2010
6. Dec 22, 2010 10:21 PM in response to: Seal

Seal,

Thanks for the thought.  I already tried that; it makes no difference.  The physical (in inches) dimensions remain the same; the ppi is reduced to 200.

Your idea came as a suggestion to try, and I truly appreciate that.  I suspect that many of the solutions proposed as sure-fire have not actually been tested by the proposers; thanks for presenting your suggestion as a concept to be tried.

I also have tried Link, Link and Embed, and simple Insert.  These have all been proposed as sure-fire solutions by various people, and none of them have made any difference.

I have tried Save as PDF (without saving first as Word) and Save As Word and then Save As PDF.  Someone elsewhere has reported that Microsoft support is clear that there is no way to save over 200ppi in Word.

I would like to ask if all those people who expressed certainty about success by properly sizing the image before inserting it, have actually gone through the process.  If so, is there some step that they are omitting from their explanation?  I've processed thousands of images with PhotoShop, so I believe I know what's going on on that end.

Level 5 14,278 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Dec 23, 2010 4:38 AM in response to: drsurf

I have run tests where I have inserted properly sized 300dpi image into a Word file and converted PDF using Acrobat Pro and dopdf, primopdf, and pdf995, the images stayed at 300dpi. I have also converted the Word file using a Word (2003) to PDF plug-in, and the images were downsized to 96 dpi.

I ran tests using OpenOffice, and converted the images perfectly, keeping them at 300dpi.

The free programs do not perform perfectly for everyone and what works for one might not work for another. Who knows? But for the money, free, just change to another program.

I normally work in Creative Suite. But because I design and format for people, I frequently run tests like these. (When I don't run tests, I put my foot in my mouth more often than not.) In another post yesterday, https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/97791#97791 , Lighthouse said:

The second problem is saving to PDF (or more accurately, a probable underlying problem is the default settings in your system for saving an Office document to another file format like PDF).  It is typically the default print driver you have installed that defines the resolution at which Microsoft Office applications save an image in a different format.  Most desktop printers have a line screen frequency that makes anything over 150 to 200 dpi useless, so Word (thinking it is doing you a favor) downsamples the image to whatever maximum setting the print driver provided in order to reduce file size without reducing print quality on that device.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 9 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
8. Apr 17, 2011 9:41 AM in response to: walton

I have been using Word to process books with illustrations. I scan at 600 dpi, save the file and keep working. As long as I do not close the file it converts to PDF and passes CS preflight without a problem. It is when I close the file and reopen that Word downsizes all the images to 96 DPI. So I have to leave my computer on for the duration of creating the book, or re-import all the pictures as the last step in creating the book, right before conversion. Unchecking the compression option did not help. I am researching whether or not a Word-pro program would not do this, or if I need a different software to layout these books. We upload color and black and white, 7 x 10 books from 100 to 400 pages. Some are novels, some are academic, all have images. Even the dozens of little images in tables have to be re-imported after closing the file. Saving is not a problem. I can even reduce the file to the task bar and not affect the DPI. I just can't close the file. GRRR. Any idea how to keep Word from doing this?

Level 5 14,278 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Apr 17, 2011 9:55 AM in response to: Jamseekers

I do not have Word 2007, I have Word 2003 and Word 2010.  In Word 2010, and this may be true for Word 2007 under Tools > Options:

File > Options > Advanced > Image size and quality > __ Do not compress images in file 

Tick it so that Word won't compress (read downsize) the files. Please, if you find this setting, please confirm its location.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 9 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
10. Apr 19, 2011 11:40 AM in response to: walton

downloaded the free trial of Word 2010 and now I can't even get it to convert a 1200 dpi image to pdf and pass preflight - if I save, don't save, or check off don't compress images box. I must be doing something wrong, I cannot believe Word would make a program that won't allow the use of an image over 300 dpi... I thought I tried everything. Still won't pass preflight.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...